Chapter One- Kate

"Finally," exclaimed my best friend, Macy, "I thought you would never get here."   "Hello to you to Macy," I laughed. "Guys guys lets save some of this for the house. Oh, by the way I totally missed you Kate," said my other best friend, Presley. She was the one who kept me and Macy calm.  She might have been the peacemaker but I was the glue in our friendship. 

I'm Kate. I'm a junior in college; I go to every class, everyday, and I make all A's.  Most people call me a nerd, but I say I'm letting ready for life.  My two best friends are any better, both smarter than me and far more prepared for their future.  Were all three different and it works for us.  I'm the sporty, blonde, who in reality is kinda shy. Macy is the peppy, brunette cheerleader, who is definitely going to work with kids one day.  Presley is the home body who moved here in the eighth grade and joined our group in the ninth after having homeroom and health with me.  We were joined at the hip for the most part. We used our differences to build our friendship.  It helped us rather than hurt us.  We were better this way.

I was jolted back to reality when I was knocked down by someone. "Sorry, Oh my gosh, I was in my own world and didn't see you," I admitted. That's when it happened; I looked up into the most beautiful blue, yet familiar eyes.  "Do I know you?"  I was looking at this guy and finally got a good look at him when we both stood up straight.  "I don't know. Maybe.  I'm Luke. Luke Kensington."  My mouth dropped open.  "L..Luke Kensington..," I stuttered.  "Yeah, that's me. And you are?"  "I'm I'm Late I'm late I gotta go."

 Just then Macy and Presley looked back and screamed my name.  I rushed to join them.  I looked back just in time to see the recognition light up his face when he realized he knew exactly who I was.

***

 Once in the car and away from the watchful eye of Luke, I finally felt like I could breath.  "Who was that hunk of handsome you were talking to Kate," shouted Macy. "No one," I assured them, making them believe I just bumped into some random guy and yes I thought he was hot too. Blah. Blah. Blah.  After about 10 minutes of interrogation from Macy to make sure I didn't know the guy she finally let it go. Then, I told them I think I'm going to take a nap.  Although, sleep was the farthest thing from my mind so I let it wonder to the summer right before junior year.

            "I'm Luke and you're Kate right?" "Yeah Kate... Kate Mason. Luke you say, Gotta last name cowboy?"  I was full of confidence then.  I could walk up to a guy and tell him anything and not be nervous at all. That was before Luke.  "Luke Kensington. I'm gonna be helping your grandparents this summer."  That made me smile.  "I'll be here too. Maybe we can hang out, make this summer a little more enjoyable for the both of us." And that we did.  That summer was filled with moonlight walks, horse rides, and finally a broken heart that really never healed.

***

            I was suddenly awaken by Macy and Presley fighting about who gets to wake me up. "Guys you both get your wish, I'm awake." I look up to find them wide eyed and ready to blame each other for being loud.  "Guys, don't.  I just got home and I'd like to see my grandparents and parents before you kill each other.  Got it?" I sat up, stretched and jumped out of the car. I rushed into the house looking for my parent and grandparents only to find them all waiting at the table for me.  My mother hugged me first. "Hey Mom, I missed you."  "Oh sweety you will never understand how much more I missed you."  Then cue Grandma.  She's an old little thing. No more than 5'2, maybe less.  She is the reason I am going to college in New York.  She is the reason I thought I'd never leave Georgia. 

When I was a senior in high school, she was diagnosed with cancer. Of course she didn't tell me, saying "A girl only has one senior year and she should enjoy every moment of it."  And I did.  I didn't know anything until I came back to Georgia for Christmas. My parents and grandparents who lived on the same ranch sat me down and told me.  It killed me to know that my family had lied to me for almost 2 years. I already lost one family member; I didn't want to lose another one.