Chapter III

Maxon

I ran out of my room as fast as I could; there was no way I could let my mate and my pack suffer. If someone was ballsy enough to attack my pack, then I must defend and protect it as Alpha. The screams and cries of women and children filled the lower half of the house. I could feel their fear for their children more than themselves; not to mention the worry of the mates who were currently away from the house. Barreling down the steps I finally got to see what all the screaming and crying was for.

Silver,I thought.

Those who ran past me and up the steps were wheezing and struggling to breathe; their skin was red and agitated. Looking around the room, I could see tiny glittery flecks in the air... whoever was doing this knew exactly how to smoke us out, but I wouldn't give them that satisfaction. Whoever did this was going to pay.

I instantly pulled my shirt off and wrapped it around my nose and mouth. Running into the cloud of smoke my skin and eyes immediately started to burn. I fought the urge to go back upstairs and pressed on linking all of my pack members.

Listen! I shouted at them. All around I could hear the cries die into whimpers from the small children.

If you are in the house, get up to the third level and bar yourself in a room and cover the bottom of the door with any type of cloth. Go now. People shuffled towards the steps. They were only a little less than calm. Close all vents and opening so the third level can remain a safe spot.

Yes Alpha, they all replied making quick work of my instructions.

Alpha, one of the mates of a woman linked me.

Yes, Loren?

What should those of us who are outside do? The worry for his mate flooded through our connection like water out of a faucet. I could relate to his pain of not knowing if the woman you love is OK, but unlike him I not only had my mate to worry about but my pack.

Call a HAZMAT team and open any and all openings to the house on the lower levels to let it air out as best as possible. Understood? I asked them. And wear protection.

Yes, Alpha's rang through my mind as I continued on my way to my real destination; the hospital wing. I hadn't heard anything from Nova since all this started, but I was doing my best to stay optimistic about the silence. I was hesitant to link of the fact she has been giving me the cold shoulder and berating every time we talked, but I decided to press my luck.

Nova? Nova babe, are you OK?

I waited for what seemed like minutes and I still got no reply. The more seconds and minutes ticked pass, the more my wolf and I became more frantic and nervous. Without notice I had increased from a light jog to a full out sprinter marathon run.

Nova dammit! Answer me, I shouted at her through the link.

Still no answer. By this point my wolf was beginning to go crazy and I wasn't far behind him. I wanted; no, I needed to hear her voice. If not to calm me down than to calm my wolf.

Where the hell is her room, my wolf growled out.

I don't know.

I began checking every room in the wing, all the while the burning sensation that was making its way through my body. I had been in the silver so long that I could barely even feel it anymore. Everything was starting to numb and fade. Pack members were calling me back to the safety of an uncontaminated area, but I wasn't going back until I had my mate in my arms.