Oh you of so little faith

Carla prides herself on being a patient woman. But every person has their limit and she's fast approaching hers.

"Excuse me?" She says as calmly as she can.

"You're not a good caretaker. I don't trust you with our grandson." Says Helena Diaz firmly, and honestly Carla has had it with these people. They dropped by unexpectedly. And ever since they've put a foot inside the Diaz household, they  have been criticizing her every move.

"What makes you say that?" She asks, and Mrs Diaz has the audacity to scoff.

"You are a stranger." Says Helena.

"I've been working with Eddie and Chris since they first moved to LA." Carla pointed out.

"Well, you barely do anything. You don't even help Christopher to the bathroom." Said Ramon and Carla raised an eyebrow. Are these people for real?

"Christopher can go to the bathroom by himself. I'm here to help him where he needs, not to hover over every single thing he does. He knows to ask for help when he needs it and he does so. Otherwise, I leave him to his own devices."

"That's irresponsible." Says Helena. "What if the poor boy gets injured?"

"Well, he hasn't been in the last three years I worked with him. So maybe you should put some more trust in him." Says Carla, in a no-nonsense tone. "Christopher is a strong and intelligent kid and he can manage to do most things by himself."

Helena scoffed again and honestly, Carla is done with these people. "You were hired to help . Clearly you are unqualified."

"And who are you to judge that?"

"Clearly someone who knows better than you do." Says Ramon and Cara honestly has had it.

"You know what? I won't stand here and be insulted." Carla takes out her phone, dialing Eddie's number.

Eddie picks up almost immediately. "Carla! Is everything alright?"

He sounds worried and Carla gets it. She doesn't call often when he's on shift. But she really can't deal with the elder Diazes alone.

"Chris is fine Eddie. Don't panic." She hears him let out a breath on the other side of the phone. "Your parents are here."

The line is silent and for a moment she wonders if the call disconnected but then Eddie says. "I'm almost at the end of my shift. I will be home in 45 minutes unless a call comes in last minute. Can you please stay with him until then? Don't let them get you to leave. My parents can be... restrictive with him. He always gets in a slump if I leave him with them."

45 minutes. She can do that. But if she has to stay in the same room with them after today she will strangle someone.

"Of course Eddie."

"Thank you Carla. I really owe you."

"Nonsense." Says Carla. "You know I'd do anything for you two Diazes. Stay safe now, hon. I'll handle it here."

She hung up and faced the elder Diazes once more.

"Well?" Said Helena. "What did Edmundo say?"

"He said that he'll hopefully be home in 45 minutes."

"And?" Carla could tell that Helena was hoping Eddie told her to bounce. Tough luck.

"And to remain here and take care of Chris until he gets here." She says firmly, and she gets a sense of satisfaction as Helena's lips purse with obvious disapproval. Serves her ableist ass well.

The next hour was... awkward. Helena and Ramon didn't comment once they knew Eddie was coming, no doubt waiting to complain about her directly to him. But they diverted their attention to Christopher,  hovering over his every move,  offering to help at the simplest tasks, lecturing him when he tried to play videogames. She could see Chris getting frustrated, but she didn't want to interfere directly.