Chapter 2

"Chloe

"Chloe."

Just like that the bubble Vincent was trying to suck me into popped. Kyle's voice registered in my mind. I saw annoyance in Vincent's face. I jerked away from him as if his touch burned my skin. He didn't seem to like that. Vincent growled and reached out to take hold of me again.

"Chloe."

I turned around and saw Kyle making his way towards me. He was alone. Of course Kyle would be the only one to follow behind me. By doing so he was breaking one of the rules.

"What do you think you're doing?" Kyle asked, grabbing a hold of my arm.

In one swift movement I was pushed behind Vincent as he stood toe to toe with Kyle. He looked threatening and ready to attack.

"Don't you ever put your hands on her. She's mine." Vincent growled viciously.

"Are you serious? Don't act like she means anything more than a prize to you."

"You don't know anything. It's you who treats her as if she's a prize. The daughter of an Alpha. Who wouldn't want to be mated to her? You made sure it was you who was chosen for her."

I looked at Kyle in confusion. He didn't say anything to deny it. He simply stared at Vincent with a venomous look. I didn't want to believe Vincent especially after what he did, but Kyle wasn't trying to deny it or defend himself.  It didn't make him look good.

"I've looked over Chloe since the very beginning. Her father did a lot for me and saw me as family just like I saw him as family. If there was anyone her father trusted to look after her it was me." Kyle said. "Chloe, you never knew it but we belonged together from day one. Not because your father asked me to but because in my heart I always knew. I was there for you every step of the way even though you never paid me any attention. Who held you when your dad was lost in himself and you were alone to grieve your mom?"

A brief memory of those days came to mind. He looked after me even though I didn't see it then. Now I could only think of the times he was there. I remember Kyle telling me once that he kept his distance from me before and respected my dad's wishes. It wasn't because he didn't want to show me that he felt some sort of way towards me, it was that he was waiting until the right moment came along.

"What a pathetic way to declare your love for my mate. You're a little too late, mutt."

"Laugh if you want, Vincent, but people like you always end up the same." Kyle shook his head at Vincent. "You'll end up dead because everything eventually comes back full circle."

Vincent laughed. "Don't get your hopes up."

I barely felt Vincent brush his lips on me cheek before he was gone. He had taken off full speed. I was thankful that a fight between Kyle and Vincent. I was however disappointed that he was gone so soon. I yearned for his presence and I could get over how much of an idiot it made me feel like.