Chapter 6

CHAPTER 6

"Ms. Valdez, chin up and straighten your back!" Mrs. Wales shouted like a commando. She was tapping her heels impatiently, looking at me sternly. I guess the Mrs. Wales at the reception was gone. I heard a few snickers from around, mostly from the manipulative princess-Anastasia and her minions. Nonetheless, I complied with what Mrs. Wales ordered but seriously these heels hurt like burning hell. A few steps forward and I fell again.

More snickers and a few glanced at me concerned, I felt two arms lifting me up. It was Ria and her eyebrows were scrunched worriedly at me. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm just really not used to this," I replied, smiling slightly at her. Just as I was about to go again Mrs. Wales stopped me with a strong grip.

"That's enough Ms. Valdez. I'll talk to you later. Please sit on one of those chairs."

I groaned inwardly, then I realized most of the girls were looking at me with pity eyes. I mean I couldn't blame them pitying me, after they saw me fall about a hundred times. I smiled at them brightly.

"Don't worry guys, I won't break that easily," I told them and tapped my heart with my fist to emphasize that I was really alright as they nodded smiling and went back to their training with about 20 books on their heads as they walk with ease. I swear, how could they do that?

"Don't worry Clary, you'll get there soon," Ria told me and I nodded at her as she left. I felt a hand on my shoulder and turned to see who it was.

"No wonder you didn't want to wear heels." Nessa chuckled at me, handing me a glass of water.

I took it and drank it all in one go. "I guess now you know."

The door suddenly opened and in came a beautiful woman with the most bongacious dress. It was a very lacy dress with intricate designs and she wore a big hat. Who the hell dresses like that nowadays?

Everyone also stood rigid facing her and seeing them do that made me wonder how important this woman that barged in was.

"Oh god, here she is again," Nessa groaned quietly. "You have to stand up Clary unless you want to get scolded later."

I stood up anyway. "Who is she?"

"She's princess Anastasia's mom, Queen Elizabeth and she's not very nice," She whispered.

I could tell by how she looked at the girls scrutinizing.

Anastasia went at the front and smiled at her mother before she curtsied. "Your grace," she said. Then everyone including Mrs. Wales followed. There were choruses of "your grace" in the air as they all curtsied even Nessa while she dragged me to bow my head as well which was a mistake because again, the clumsy me with ridiculous high heels fell down hard on the ground with a big splat. Talk about embarrassing.

"Oh my gosh, I'm sorry," Nessa sputtered as she held me up.

"It's fine, I'm used to it," I said brushing off my dress.

Someone cleared her throat and I saw Nessa gulp from the corner of my eye as I continued fixing my dress, her eyes widening. The queen must be looking here then and sure she was. Nessa paled as the queen trudged her way towards us, her hands began to shake. Nessa must be really terrified of this person, I have never seen her this scared and I hate it. I took her hand in mine to stop it from shaking, she smiled at me, feeling more relaxed than before but I could still feel her anxiety.

"How disgraceful!" The queen's voice boomed. "You can't even do a little curtsy to the queen!" Her words directed at me. I felt a sudden rage well inside of me but I calmed it down.