CHAPTER 5. unexpected guest

To the normal eye in Japan, a missing person's case is not all that uncommon

To the normal eye in Japan, a missing person's case is not all that uncommon. It was a common occurrence due to cursed spirits.

The barriers around the country maintained by Master Tengen didn't allow many sorcerers or cursed spirits to appear out in the rest of the world. Hence, of all the countries in the world, Japan would easily be considered the country with the largest number of missing person reports.

When someone is related to the missing person, life becomes complicated. Stress responses settle in and most people can only think of praying for this person's return.

There are cases where the missing person returns home. Although they may have been in a different physical or mental state, they weren't dead.

Deaths that cannot be explained often happen to jujutsu sorcerers. Breaking the news to their non-sorcerer families about false information was the best they could do.

Amaya and Okkotsu were assigned to investigate a singular chain of missing people. It was assumed to be done by a cursed spirit, but not one of an over-bearing level for the pair.

Okkotsu needed the experience, especially since he was a special grade sorcerer. His actual physical capabilities didn't even match up to a grade two sorcerer's. There was clearly room for improvement and this was a chance for that.

"Don't die," Maki looked back at the two as they were about to leave.

Amaya waved, "Not planning on it, you know. See you later."

The paired-up teenagers went to a car and were accompanied by Ijichi. They read the information on a tablet provided by the school out loud.

"At least 7 girls happened to be killed by the cursed spirit predicted to be a grade one within the past two months," Amaya's eyes widened, "and all were in their teen years. The youngest was only 14 years old..."

Okkotsu glanced at her before back at the tablet, his skin crawling, "Disturbing..."

"That's what's, unfortunately, ahead as a sorcerer." Ijichi took a quick look back at the two from the rearview mirror, "Only those who can handle it can continue."

The noirette fiddled with his fingers. He remembered the twisted and deformed bodies of his bullies from November of last year. It was the case that caught the Jujutsu Higher-Ups' attention.

"Beware, Yuta-kun, people will die in gruesome ways."

Okkotsu remembered Gojo's words and thought of the endless possibilities. People probably ended up like his old classmates or, even worse, dead. The real question was if he could handle seeing it often or not. It might've been a familiar sight, but the eyes of a child such as him will always be horrified.

"How do you handle it, Amaya-san?" Okkotsu decided to ask.

The brunette was surprisingly quick to respond, "Part of me is always disturbed, so I'm not sure if I would consider it being handled. I know I'm a sorcerer for my loved ones. I can't save everyone or change everything, but I can certainly try and learn from those experiences. No one will be tormented by curses I defeat, and I can become stronger. After all, strength only comes from experience and courage. So, it doesn't matter if I dislike the things I witness as a sorcerer. This is my job, and I'll do my best to help who I can."