𝗧𝗿𝘂𝗲 𝗶𝗻𝘁𝗲𝗻𝘁𝗶𝗼𝗻𝘀

Chapter Twenty-Three

"Late! Late! I'm gonna be late!"

Y/n was sprinting down the road, her kanabou on her back as she breathed in and out rapidly so she could keep running.

She squeezed her eyes shut, "Man, I hope I'm not late!"

The extra weight from the spiked wristbands she wore wasn't really bothering her, nor was the spiked choker around her neck, but she still had some lingering pain from Tatsuya's weird little ritual.

He assured her that it wouldn't hold her back but the increasing amounts of pain in her body was saying otherwise.

"The pain is a sign that it's working." was all he'd said when she told him, shrugging once.

Either way, she couldn't be late!

"What the!? What's going on here?" y/n demanded when she got to the arena only to find a bunch of angry bulls in the front.

The two ninja guarding the front were trying to calm down the raging animals while the young oni merely skid to a halt.

"Nothing we can't handle!" one tried to assure her as he peeked at her from over one bull, "Head on in!"

"Quickly, you're already late!" the other added.

Y/n nodded, squeezing her way past the bulls, thanking the two ninja and heading on into the arena in a hurry.

When she stumbled in, she found the others who had made it to the finals and ran over to join them, heading straight for Naruto.

"Yo, Naruto!" she greeted as the crowd starting cheering, "You ready?"

Naruto nodded with a grin, "Yep! Absolutely!"

The duo grinned at one another before standing next to each other in a line as the referee(?) turned to them, "Before the match begins, I've got something to tell you all."

He pulled out a folded piece of paper and showed it to them, "Here, take a look at this. There was a slight change in the matches. Double check to see who you'll be facing."

Y/n noticed and extra match and blinked, surprised to see her name and Shikamaru's. If she remembered correctly, she was initially supposed to go against the weird bandage dude from Otogakure.

Now, she was up against Shikamaru. Whoever won that match would fight Temari. Y/n was devastated, not because she thought she was gonna lose.

Shikamaru was equally devastated by this sudden news.

'He's not even gonna try!'

'She's going to lecture me again...'

This all went back to their time at the academy when they were younger, back when y/n and Shikamaru kept getting paired up for sparring.

Whenever y/n realized Shikamaru wasn't trying, she'd force him to sit down with her and start having a whole lecture right there when they were supposed to be sparring.

Sometimes, y/n wouldn't even bother.
She'd poke him and leave.

Other times, she'd grab his arm and use it to lightly tap her face. Then leave with a, "He wins I guess."