PhD Candidate Arthur Sears

• Dedicated to Tawan Pornpang

G-20 International Economic Development Measuring Indicators Udon Thani Sustainable Index Hub

Arthur Eugene Sears Udon Thani Rajabhat University  

The Financial Crisis of 2008 turned the world upside down together with the world’s Development Models were based on growth at any costs. This was the birth of the Financial Crisis that has grown into the Great Depression of 2010. Every country in the world had followed these Development Models including Thailand to reach growth goals. This despite Thailand having its own National Development Model of its own called Sufficient Theory with Sustainable Development Concept.

Key Words: G-20, Sustainable, Index

Background and Significance of the Problem

Thailand is in the middle of two crisis a Financial Crisis and a Political Crisis this is the first time Thailand has faced multiple crisis at the same time in modern man human history(G-20, 2009). This is the background and significant of the problem that is the beginning of the paper on creating Udon Thani Sustainable Index Hub. The time for urgency action is now before a reversal of events becomes too late.The problem is Thailand has become unbalance and unsustainable in its current state instead of Doing More With Less is a proposed growth strategy (ADB, 2008).

Purpose of the Study

The purpose of the study is how to create a Sustainable Index and to find examples of successful ones in the G-20.

·         Within a G-20 Conceptual Framework identify successful examples of Indexes and why they were successful measuring indicators for each country.

·         Indicators are evaluated locally in Udon Thani and if necessary adapted locally to fit the needs of the community.

·         Development Strategies for Udon Thani to promote and use the Index for a more balance growth for each citizen well being in Udon Thani and to Development Strategies to use the Index to help its neighbors (ASEAN) to develop as Udon Thani Regional Hub reputation and expertness increases.

·         The Study as a long-term effect of making the Index data accessible and available by the internet giving it a transparency and verifiable by the citizens of Udon Thani increasing their stakeholders value over time.

·          

Scope of the Study

Scope of the study are divide into four phases. A mixed methodology approach will be used  this research paper. Why is this knowledge worth knowing? By knowing what links our development together we can prepare ourselves and future generations of decision makers and stakeholders a better “New Balance and New Foundation” to build from. This knowledge can also be used not only in the Northeastern Region of Thailand but also in the Northern, Central, and Southern Regions of Thailand.

How will the evaluation be done to ensure the validity of the conclusions? By using a mixed methodology approach, gaps in the quantitative primary and secondary panel data can be filled by qualitative data collection. This will provide a more complete picture of global and regional linkages that logical conclusions can be drawn upon. These variables and their relationships will be done through extensive archives searches, interviewing, observing and taking standardized notes, collecting data, and analyzing patterns.

In collecting and analyzing qualitative data cultural differences will be accounted for at each stage of the research to eliminate cultural biases leading to distorted and possibly wrong conclusions. Awareness of different stages of social, political, environmental and economic development of sectors will lead to producing an appropriate strategy and make implementation of recommendations realistic. Knowledge of available regional resources will reduce the need for unrealistic development strategies