Dark Light

this is a descriptive essay about my boyfriend 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

"Here's to the pain in the light of the oncoming train. Come on. Ode to solitude. In Chains.... Map the scars of a heart bruised and torn. Loosen the noose with love. Loosen the noose with love." 

- "Ode to Solitude" by H.I.M.

In the town of Bergen there is this guy. His name: Cory. Yeah. You know. The teenage, no good kid walking down the street with his brother's trench coat on, head banging to whatever god forbidden music he had in his arsenal. With his straight, shoulder length, jet black hair flinging around everywhere like a pair of a raven's wings, he would have this air about him that chillingly repelled yet attracted people to him. Maybe simply because he was a hardcore metal fan or maybe because of the energy he gives off when he is in his "zone". 

All you see in his room is music related stuff. Posters, CDs, a bass guitar (which he plays fairly well), and amp/speaker, and a Grateful Dead guitar book filled with sheet music. I would have to say that music is literally his whole life. There is never one day where I do not see him without his iPod, earphones, and a band t-shirt on. 

When I first met Cory I thought he was intimidating. Big, broad-shouldered boy that is taller and bigger than me, which made me feel small. The thing that really got me was the expression on his face. One of the darkest expressions I have ever seen. Very scary, but curious at the same time. But I saw past his dark exterior and started searching inward, looking for answers to who he really was. Just by looking in his brown eyes could I tell he was not angry at the world but sad. For what? I'm still not sure.... But I do know he was in his deepest rut, his deepest depression and I saw it all by looking in his eyes, the source of his heart and soul. So I started to talk to him and bond with him realizing despite what he appeared to be he was a nice, funny guy. As I hung out with him more and more I kind of noticed something very subtle. He laughed more around me and smiled. His attitude started to change slowly. All I remember is him laughing, nodding his head to everything I said while staring down at me under the rim of his glasses with his chocolate-like eyes. The look he gave me was gentle and soft, like silk. The smile on his face emphasized his dimple chin making the look even more startling. Over time he became protective of me just like he did with all of his closest friends and family. If someone messed with me or anyone else he would easily get angered, and stick up for us. I am just glad I have never seen him unleash his fury on anyone before. 

Obviously music, family, friends, originality, and love is what he is all about. There will never be a day where anyone would see Cory abandoning his family and friends (especially his "little sister" Shelby), and without his two loves of his life music and me. But most of all you will never see him without me by his side.

"I'll write down everything I have learned and edit it down to a single word. 

Love." 

-"Heartkiller" by H.I.M.