01 - Lola: Surprise, Surprise

It should've been physically impossible for a girl as small as Claire to take up so much space in one bedroom. Her belongings were scattered about the room, used tissues spilling from her handbag onto the floor, and her body currently took up the entire frame of my bed. Mere seconds after entering the room, she'd taken over.

Claire was much too proud to cry in front of anybody, but I'd known her for long enough to know when she was holding back tears. Judging by her expression right now, she was barely holding it together.

"He's an ass."

Her voice was as monotonous as ever I'd heard it, her eyes glassy.

Ever since she'd called me earlier that day, her mood had been wavering between sadness and utter confusion. Now, whatever emotions were circling through her mind had all seemed to just channel into one: anger.

Whilst it may not have been the best way to channel her emotions, it was better than her becoming annoyed at herself, as I'd seen her do so many times before. After all, none of this was her fault.

"He always has been."

I replied in the same monotone voice, not wanting to further fuel the fire I could see burning in her eyes.

"But I knew... I knew who he was. I knew what he'd do... What he's still doing."

I smiled sadly, my fists clenching by my side as I saw first-hand the amount of damage this guy could cause. It wasn't as if I hadn't seen it countless times before, but so had Claire. The difference between us, of course, was that despite all that, she'd fallen for him just like the rest.

She'd fallen for the guy who flirted with every girl who'd listen; who seduces every girl stupid enough to fall for his games. The guy that every girl promises themselves they won't fall for, but do anyway, hoping that they can change him.

Ryder Case.

Despite all she'd seen, Claire hadn't been able to help being drawn in by his charm. Just like everybody else, she'd been utterly broken when he'd inevitably grown bored with her and moved on.

As she spoke, Claire's tone became increasingly frustrated, and her head snapped up from the pillow, eyes spitting angrily as she looked towards me.

"There's no way he can just keep getting away with this. We have to do something."

I nodded gently in agreement, my brain only really processing the words a few moments later.

"I'm sorry, we?" I repeated incredulously, raising my eyebrows as Claire finally stood up from the bed.

I'd never seen her look more serious, even with her ruffled hair and pyjama top poking out from underneath her jacket.

"Well..." She shrugged sheepishly,