Chapter 1: The Outbreak

You were running as fast as you could, panting, but those monsters were everywhere.

A couple of days ago, someone in your town had started to show those symptoms that the TV was talking about, and now, it seemed as if the whole town had turned into monsters.

You didn't know what to do, monsters all around, when you heard what you thought was the engine of a bike. The road that crossed your town was a secondary one, barely anyone used it anymore, yet a bike seemed to be approaching.

You didn't know what else to do, and so you ran towards the noise. It was indeed a man on a bike, you didn't care who he was, he was a human, someone alive, and you all but jumped in front of the bike so he wouldn't just keep riding.

The man slammed the breaks in time to not run you over, turning the bike, which skidded across the pavement and ended up falling to the ground, and you stared at it in horror. Great, maybe you had killed the only alive person around.

He was okay, though, and he recovered quick."What the fuck!" He yelled as he kicked the bike off him and got up, lifting the bike again and glaring at you. "What the hell are ya doin', ya crazy bitch?! Want to get killed and make me kill myself in the process?!"

"Please, help me, please," you were too scared to react to his insults. "Please, please, they're everywhere."

A few walkers were already making their way to the road, attracted to the sound. The man grabbed a crossbow that was attached to the bike and began shooting at them, putting them down without a word to you, and then he went to retrieve his arrows while you stood there, unsure of what to do.

There was a bigger group coming and you gasped at it. The man noticed too, making his way back to the bike, swinging his leg over it, and you wondered if he'd ride away and leave you there, what would you do.

"Come on, ain't got all day!" he yelled at you and you nodded, rushing to get on the bike too.

No sooner had you wrapped your arms around him, tight, the man was already speeding up.

He rode fast, faster than you had ever driven on a car, and it was a bit scary. You held to him even tighter and even buried your face on the back of that stranger to not see everything flying around you. He tensed at your tight hold, but you barely noticed it, busy as you were wondering if you were going to fell off the bike and die, but you hadn't, and the man had kept riding for a long while, stopping only when you seemed to be in the middle of nowhere.

He shook you off him and got up from the bike, looking at you, and so you got up too, feeling very awkward now. "Thank you," you said when the man still just looked at you in silence with his intense blue eyes. "You saved my life."

"Yeah, and ya almost killed me," the man said harshly, lifting the side of his shirt slightly to inspect his skin, and you felt guilty when you noticed some bruises and rashes. "Crazy bitch..." he muttered.

"I'm sorry, really, I am," you apologized. "But those monsters were everywhere and I heard your bike, I was afraid you wouldn't' see me and wouldn't stop..." Or maybe that he wouldn't stop even if he saw you. "I thought that the monsters would tear me into pieces, the whole town is infected."

"Mine too," the man murmured and you guessed maybe that's why he was on his own too.

"My...my family and friends...they...I saw some and they had become those things...and others were getting eaten..." You had been in shock and then you had been running for your life, you had barely had time to process all that, and now it all hit you so hard that breathing got hard. "Oh god...they're...they're dead."