Prologue

"Yesterday, I saw the Body of the Bridgekeeper engulfed in flame, and I saw the Bridge created by one-third.

Tomorrow I saw the Soul of the Bridgekeeper reduced to ash, and I saw the Bridge created by two-thirds.

Today, the Mind of the Bridgekeeper shall meet with its destiny, and I shall see the Bridge extend between the realms.

And the many children of the King shall leap and dance and sing praise in His name, for great is His wisdom and His benevolence."

- The Book of the Bridge

196 years later...and 196 years earlier...

        I entered the bright building to an empty reception room. The word "Optimology" was printed over the top of the desk on the wall, with only a plant and unused crushed-leather sofa adorning the room. Approaching the desk in the hopes of finding some kind of bell or call button, I found nothing but pamphlets for Optimology, the religion whose headquarters I was standing in.

"Life becoming a struggle? Need a guiding hand? Want to be part of the world's fastest-growing family? OPTIMOLOGY is a religion catered for YOU, taking the best parts of all previous religions to make a great new way of thinking. Join OPTIMOLOGY today!"

       I put the pamphlet in my journal, and I finally noticed someone - a man in a long red robe.

       "Excuse me, are you Mr. Garriott?"

       "Get out of my way, you fool!" The man pushed me aside and headed for the door.

       "Mr. Garriott, I'm from the county council?"

       "What?"

       "My name's DaCabe, I phoned you a week ago? About running an inspection of your facilities?"

       "Oh...yes...I remember."

       "The council has been informed that you may be extending your premises without planning permission. I just need to take a look around to make sure you aren't."

       "Is it...is it completely necessary?" Mr. Garriott seemed almost nervous. I couldn't understand why though.

       "It's just a precaution, entirely routine."

       "Could you come back another time?"

       "Well, actually, no. I have to get this done before the end of the week, and this is my only free time slot."

       "I...see."

       "Is there a problem?"

       "No! No, not at all. Well, why don't I...take you up the elevator and we can tour the building?"

       "I'd be obliged."

       We walked to the elevator, and I stood next to him. He called the lift, and the door opened to pitch blackness.

       "Where's the-"

       And I was pushed by this man down the elevator shaft, stuck in total darkness as I screamed and yelled and cried for help. I met the floor quickly, and everything went black.