The Lady in the Trance

The lights danced in spirals,jumping off the walls in a celebration of good spirits,whether you mean the alcohol or the spiritual kind. There was a number of danger that lurked here,the most apparent was the nobles. The villagers that lived in this small villa ,knew plenty of the feared men. The noise was like a hook,luring in the children and plenty more adults desiring the fine liquor and maybe a even better cigar. This was a huge place of dealing for the nobles,they often sold there products on this night. Funny story,most kids will never find out the sad reason for the party. Its more of a drug transport,than a party for the kids. Theres a even darker past behind this though,one that still haunts this annual celebration. There was a poor women,barely able to get a grain of rice. Times were full of hardship and there were never many options for women,they mostly kept the house while the man earns the money. Well,this woman was not married,she was very beatiful but could never bare children. Most men wanted her to be thrown away like a old turkey leg. Yet this women called Lola,was eager to turn her desparate life into something more. Lola wanted belonging,and not to be the towns trash,alongside the druggies and the brutal policemen. Sadly,she had to be some form of lower class. The offer was for prostitution,a fairly new industry in this part of Mexico. At first,she prayed never to sink so low,that she would jump a cliff ,rather than sell herself out. The nobles however,believed "Since she cant be impregnated,she will be a top prostitute". The nobles were sick men,they wanted to be treated like royalty,hence there names. Lola hated this job,hated everything about it,yet realized she needed the money or she would go broke. The taxer would surely throw her to jail to be tortured. Lola had that risk anyways,so she agreed to the Noble's request. Years passed and she was making great income,yet townsfolk wondered how she is doing this without a man,Lola ignored them. The Nobles were so fond of her,they threw her a fiesta and invited everyone to celebrate her. The town would have refused,if they had there will. The crowd was massive,many people showed up to see her. Drunken and very tipsy,Lola left the party late at night. She had many beers,and was unable to see straight or even function. A road was ahead,and it looked fairly dead. Lola waited to see if anyone would give her a ride home. Finally,a glowing light of lanterns appeared down the path,it looked like a bank wagon. Lola stood in the way,waving her hands and yelling " A ride please!". The wagon kept on going foward,not seeing her in her deep black dress. Lola was trampled and killed,her body was found in the road five nights later. When they checked her corpse,she had a baby in her stoumach. Lola always thought she could never be pregnant,it took death to occur. Most say it was a lucky chance from one of the men she sold out to. Yet others say it was a sign,that her legacy would carry on. Lola would forever be called "The Lady in the Trance",or as the town called her " La Dama del Trance". Now her spirit forever stands beside the old horse trail (now a paved road), putting a thumb up and asking for a ride. Often you will see the lanterns glow before you see her. Some have mistaken her for a person and offered rides,only to see her fade away.