Stolen

Question

Body my house

my horse my hound

what will I do

when you are fallen

Where will I sleep

How will I ride

What will I hunt

Where can I go

without my mount

all eager and quick

How will I know

in thicket ahead

is danger or treasure

when Body my good

bright dog is dead

How will it be

to lie in the sky

without roof or door

and wind for an eye

With cloud for shift

how will I hide?

~May Swenson

***********************************

~Elena~

************************************

All that flitted quickly through my head at the present moment was that I have failed them. I have failed Ryder and Lissa by acting carelessly with my actions and purpose by allowing myself to be tracked by the monsters; the body snatchers in the most literal sense.

I can't even believe myself that I thought that they would have survived the invasion! Senseless, careless, irrational me! Meredith was always the level headed one of my cohort group who was the most likely to be strong enough to evade the monsters. The same went for Shiloh. But I was wrong, like always it seemed to happen as of now to me.

The second that the strangers that mirrored and sounded like Meredith and Shiloh saw me, they called for the "official peacekeeping" monsters, or Seekers as they have officially classified themselves as. Ever since then, they have been trying to incarcerate me and convert me into one of them; a shell of my former self.

I dare not lead them towards the only safe haven in the area, which was located underground, where Ryder and Lissa and a bunch of other escapees of the invasion now call home. It would be like leading the enemy straight to the source without meaning to. It's what my father and mother's mind less shells had tried to do when the Seekers gave them both a memory accessing serum. I was forced by the Novem, an elected group of nine individuals whom my grandfather trusted with governing the law of the community, to execute my own parents so that they couldn't report back to the Seekers. It was my duty as the eldest member related to them, to kill them. I never once never regretted doing that act, as we found out a cure to revert the mindlessness later on.

My legs are growing weaker. I haven't stop to rest since the wild goose chase began. They are practically used to the burning sensation in my calves. I guess that Dad was right before he and my mother were captured to become monsters when I was only fourteen; being on the track team would come in handy someday. It seemed that my pursuers have lost my trail but to be precautious I entered an old abandoned hotel that seemed like it had seen better days in the past. I didn't stop untill I was at least five stories above ground level untill my legs finally protested and gave out on the bed of some random room that was far away from the stair case that I half sprinted up. Using the elevator would have taken too long and would have made alot of noise that would have given myself away. Just to be on the safe side, I painfully half crawled, half draged myself into the closet that thankfully was stuffed with clothing from a forgotten owner from the past judging by the distasteful style.