In the Museum

It was another stuffy benefit dinner filled with out of shape, old men flashing their money through bidding on pointless trips and items that were not nearly worth the price that would be paid.

On the stone patio, anybody who was anybody chatted about politics and business, always trying to find a way to prove they were better than each other.

Women who milled around in the back near the drinks always had the most annoying fake laughs, showing off their stiff faces that had been under the knife one too many times in an attempt to reverse the curse of time.

Once in a while, a younger woman would be seen clinging to an older man, decked out in the newest collection of name brands like Versace and Gucci. The older wives would stay clear of the new face, making a point to look in disgust at the flashy outfit that screamed "New Wealth".

Yoongi always appreciated the younger women who made their way through these events with their heads held high. At least they were honest to who they were and were brave enough to show it.

Occasionally a younger face would walk by not attached to the hip of an older man. Children of rich doctors and CEOs were brought to be shown off and married to the highest bidder.

By the time Yoongi turned 21, his parents had dragged him to these events four times a year, one for every season.

He would be stuffed into a tailored black suit and lectured on table manners that he was expected to perfectly execute later that night. Once checked for any wrinkles or misperfections, he was rushed into a black SVU with a personal driver, and the family would make their way into the city from their mansion on the hillside.

This particular benefit dinner was located at a museum downtown with great views of the river. It was summer, allowing for the bar tables to be set up outside on an extravagant patio with manicured lawns, bushes, and winding stairs leading to a riverside walking path.

It was a beautiful location that deserved to be in a painting kept locked up in a museum. It's ambiance was only to be ruined by the business deals and cigars that would be discarded on the steps that night.

Inside, away from the summer humidity that hung in the air, a few people could be found holding wine glasses and visiting at scattered tables cluttering up the entryway. A floor above them sat the ballroom where dinner would be held later that evening.

Both outside and inside were fit with stages where live music was being played. Classical music of course.

Yoongi's family always came forty minutes after the doors for the benefit dinner opened to avoid the awkward period of time where people slowly trickled in for the event. The official dinner usually started two hours after the event started to ensure that nobody showed up while the plates were being served.

Everything at these events were planned to a T, including where each guest sat and who they were meant to interact with. Mostly it was one big party to flex on those below you and impress those above you in hopes of getting a promotion.

Yoongi's father was a CEO of a large medical tech company that provided important machinery to all the hospitals in the city, making him one of the people on top of the food chain.

By the time Yoongi, his father, and his mother made their way up the main stairs covered in a red carpet and out onto the patio where the majority of guests had congregated, about seven people had already come up and introduced themselves to his father.

It was always the same format too. "Oh mister Min! I didn't expect you to come to this dinner! My name is ---- I work for ---- I just wanted to express my gratitude for your donations ---- I would love to talk to you about this new proposition if you have time later tonight---- bla bla bla."