1: time for an adventure

Chapter 1

Cutlery clatter against plates, the sound of soft laughter and energized conversation fills the restaurant. My shoes squeak against the tiled floors as I walk past eating customers and laughing babies.

In my pale white hands are two ice cream sundaes, for the two teenagers at the back on the restaurant. Two girls, one a brunette with hazel eyes, the other a blonde girl with vibrant blue eyes. They say you can tell someone’s personality by the colour of their eyes. However, I can tell you that’s absolute bull shit.

Both girls seem quiet as I give them their Sundaes, they murmur a “thank you” and I leave them be. It’s not unusual to see shy teenagers like that, it’s natural, in a way. Some don’t feel the need to be loud, or want to be the centre of attention. Some just want to get through life without the hassle. However, I can also tell you that’s absolute bull shit.

In life there is no easy way to avoid the complications that head your way. No matter which direction you chose in life, you’ll end up in shit one way or another.

I head back through metal doors and into the kitchen, the chef is my uncle Jeff. “Jeff, my shifts over.” I say, he nods and waves me goodbye. The work lockers are behind the small kitchen, mine is last, no surprise there. I pull out my coat and bag, then I begin my long trek home.

The streets are cold and just as I reach home the sun sets behind me, the rooms inside my house turn a dark orange. Our white sofa is lit as if the cast of Geordie Shore have sat all over it, the cream walls are darker now too. I switch on the light so I don’t break my toe, again.

I had worked at the restaurant with my uncle since I was sixteen. Four whole years of serving plates, taking orders and washing dishes. Before that I was doing paper rounds for the local shops. On top of the saved Christmas and birthday money, pocket money and spare change from my nan, and pay checks from the restaurant, I have finally collected all the money I need.

The bathroom door across from the living room opens and the chain flushes. My little brother walks out and scowls at me, he’s wearing his pyjamas and stupid hulk slippers. “When are you moving out?”

“When you grow up,” I stick my tongue out at him and ruffle his hair. I look at my watch and give him a false stern look, “Its three minutes passed your bedtime.” I tut at him as he rolls his eyes at me.

He knocks my hand away from his hair and glares at me once more, “I’m fourteen, not ten.”

I scoff, “Barely a four year difference, get to bed.”

Once he is in his room, I walk to the kitchen to pour a drink of tea. People always talk about them fancy green teas and herbal teas. Just no, there’s no calories. The more calories the better. We’re talking burgers, chips, McDonalds!

My stomach rumbles on queue and I grab a packet of biscuits and sit in my room at the far end of the house, dunking my Foxes Biscuits into my milky tea. I open my laptop and open my Word document.

I read through what I’ve written so far. Once I reach the end I right-click and highlight it all. Then I delete it and slam my laptop closed on my desk, hoping I don’t wake my brother.

Why can’t I get it right! I plan it all out, I have piles of paper stacked inside a small metal Roses tin in the bottom of my wardrobe. I always start writing this amazing idea for a story, but then I get writers block and I suddenly can’t seem to find the next word, the next sentence to my story.

However I have a plan of my own. I dress into loose shorts and an old top, then climb into bed. My plan is to travel, find something to write about, find someone to write about.

Maybe if I had gone to university outside of my hometown I would have found a story there, but I wouldn’t have been able to afford it even if I wanted to. All that I need to do, is find the story I need to write outside of my home.

Enough of the cliché romances, enough of the gangs and the bad boys. It’s time for an adventure.

-

a.n- this is just the prologue so expect it to be short, The next chapter will be a lot longer.