[1] A Change Of Color

A Change Of Color 

             NOT RED.  Not orange.  Vermilion.  Vermilion, with a thin sheen of gray.  Gray.  The same hue swirling in Lenna's eyes, or rather, used to swirl.  She wonders if her eyes will ever be gray again.  At the moment, it seems a feat unachievable.  Her eyes are burning with vermilion.

             And yet, no tears spring out.

            “Lenna!”

             She doesn't turn around, too engrossed by the crackling of the endless, scarlet flames.  They rise high into the serene blue sky, tainting the fluffs of cumuli a sinister gray. She fails to notice the oncoming queue of firetrucks––red, not vermilion––with their flashing neon lights and wailing sirens.  Nor does she heed the multitude of firemen, frantically rushing about, trying to wash out the hot waves of vermilion that killed her family.

             Family.  She smiles.  The word can be interpreted in so many different ways.

            “Lenna!  Dear, are you alright?”   Frederick D'Souza worriedly places a hand on his only niece's shoulder, not startling her in the least.  He sighs ostentatiously.  “Good God, I am such an idiot––what kind of a stupid question is that?”

            “You tell me,” says Lenna, her fiery gaze unwavering from the vast clouds of smoke enveloping what used to be a modest brick house with white shingles.  She speaks in a voice so soft and feather-like; if you weren't a careful listener, you would have missed it altogether.

             Frederick D'Souza isn't a careful listener.

            “Well, though it is such a senseless tragedy, what's done is done,” he continues, oblivious to Lenna's murmured response.  “We must learn to move on.  Landon, my brother.  Even if you were only my half-brother, I still considered you as my brother, and I will miss you dearly.  You were a good man. And Shireen, my sister-in-law.  You were, and forever will be, a downright, stunning woman.  Rest in peace, love.”

            “You forgot Honey,” says Lenna.

             This time, Lenna's uncle does hear her, raising a bushy eyebrow in confusion. “Who?”

            “My dog.”

             A flicker of recognition crosses his round features. “Oh, you mean the stray mutt that kept showing up at your door for food?” he says, pleased with himself for remembering.

             Lenna doesn't even flinch when she hears her uncle's callous reference to her late, faithful companion. “No,” she says.  “I mean my dog.”

            “Dear, that's what I just said,” Frederick says stoutly.  Silence is what he receives.  Lenna's eyes still appear transfixed on the blazing embers of her ruined home.  Impatience brewing within him, he sighs.  “Alright, enough about pitiful mutts; that's not what I came here to discuss,” he says, rubbing the balding spot on his head.  “There's no use beating around the bush, so I'll come right out with it––I mean, it gets on my last nerve when people aren't straightforward.  What do they think, that it's a game?  Well, sorry to burst their bubble, but––”

            “You're beating around the bush,” says Lenna.

             Frederick blankly stares at his eighteen year-old niece who still doesn't bother to look his way, but makes a rather valid point.  And once more hearing the soft, steady voice, devoid of any emotion, his steely blue eyes narrow.  He clears his throat. 

            “Your parents have willed me to be your legal guardian.  You are to come and live with me in my bungalow, in London.”

***

Author's Note:

Dundundundun.  Cliffhanger!  So, what do you think Lenna's reaction is going to be?  It's pretty obvious isn't it?  Hehehe.  Just a heads up, Zayn doesn't appear right away.  It's going to take some time, maybe three to four more chapters, at least.  But don't worry, when he does make his entrance, I'll be sure to make it juicy and dramatic!  And the chapters leading up to that point will also be filled with suspense that will hopefully keep you on your toes.  Please comment, vote, fan, anything.  Comments would be greatly appreciated, 'cause I love reading feedback!  I'm so excited about this story, as I've got plenty more in store!  Oh, and there's the picture of Lenna to the side >>>> She's so gorgeous, isn't she?  I learned that Zayn just so happens to have the hots for her in real life!  Just as a celebrity crush though, nothing more. ;)

Okay, bye!  I love you all to the moon and back!

~Melina <3

PS: This is dedicated to one of my favorite Wattpad members, Ara!  Ara, I love your name, and I love you, and I miss talking to you.  Let's change that, shall we? ;)  Love you!  And remember how I told you I was writing a Nara one-shot?  That's still happening, and will be up in the near future . . . the very near future! ;)