1: A new road

I was awakened by a buzzing, right under my ear. I flinched and fumbled for my phone under my pillow. I cursed under my breath as it started to a play a song louder and louder. I jumped into a siting position with it in hand. I swiped my finger across the screen multiple times before sucsessfully cancelling the incoming call. I let out a sigh. My phone buzzed once more as a text came in. "Get going, m'lady" it read. I smiled. Tyler had sent it. I looked at the time and realized it was nearly 4:50am. I leapt out of bed muttering under my breath.

Trying my best to avoid the squeaky boards, I tiptoed to the foot of my bed where my packed bag and a set of clean clothes sat. I changed out of my pyjamas quickly and pulled a strap from my bag over my shoulder. I grabbed the sealed letter I had written the night before and snuck down the stairs. In the kitchen, I grabbed a pen and addressed the letter to my parents. I placed it on the counter, propped up by a flower pot.

I grabbed an apple from the fruit bowl and slipped my feet into my leather hikers. I reached for my jacket, retrieving my house keys from the pocket and setting them down with the letter. Then I zipped it up to my neck and opened the door, stepping out into the cold morning air. I didn't look back. I marched down the steps and past the gate where my best friend was waiting in his old, beet up jeep.

"Hey Tyler." I greeted with a smile.

"Well hello there Kira. Fancy seeing you this fine morning." He returned. I nodded towards my old house.

"What do you say we blow this joint?" I joked. Tyler opened the passenger seat and I stepped in, tossing my bag into the back.

"Step on it, Ty." I said. We took off down the road and turned onto the highway, not slowing down for a single regret.