Discovery and Revelations

AN: This one-shot was influenced by 'The Road Not Taken' written by Harry Turtledove in 1985.

AN: Minor points in this story were influenced by Halo, Mass Effect, and Warhammer 40k. Small inspirations for naming, technology origins, and elements of FTL.

AN: Although I don't want to say this, the cancel culture of today still scares me. In this story, there will be many mention of 'Humanity' and 'Man'. I want to make it clear here that 'Man', in all cases within this story, is referring to 'a human being of any gender' or 'All humans' regardless of classification.

Introduction

"It is attributed to humanity's history of constant conflict and wars that serves as their great leaps in technology beyond any other species discovered thus far...and luck. Luck as well"

-Commander R'briea, Aehuan Hegemony

"It we could have possibly known what humanity was...we would have never touched the nest of devils. Now get this out of my face."

-Admiral Gre'vran Egu, Rateran Empire

"Humanity's late discovery of FTL travel secured its rightful place as the leaders of the galaxy. How the simple method of FTL was oversight for so long...I can only give it to God's plan for humanity."

-Ambassador Jack, Cerberus Party, The Theocracy of Mankind

... ...

For the entire course of our history, humanity looked to the stars for miracles. In the beginning, Man has served the sun and moon as gods, praying for miracles and the will of the divine. Man later learned of their natures and purpose as nothing more than gravity and dust. Learning of their truth, Man was disappointed of its greatness but enlightened in its development and wisdom. Man looked to the stars for aliens and other sentient life...that we might not be alone in this vast universe.

Many of us thought that we were alone. Alone in a universe of emptiness and barren worlds. Stars burning bright for us alone.

Others thought that there were others out there. Some so different they are out of our understanding while others just like us. If there was one thing in common...it was the belief, fear, and awe of a space-faring Alien species.

Perhaps it was a blessing it never came to be; not of the belief of being alone in the universe, but rather the belief, fear, and awe of a space faring species.

Humanity fought and struggled to survive against the threats from both aliens and within. Humanity rose and prevailed against those who sought to destroy it.

In the eons since humanity's rise to the stars, mankind has become more than what a single species should be capable of.

A species of unimaginable scale, in command of endless armies, governing over technology eons beyond any other species in the galaxy.

For humanity is with the blessings of God...Rising from the light of Holy Gaia, stands boldly, the great work of Humanity...The Theocracy of Mankind

... ...

"It was a time when hope seemed lost. The natural resources were all but drained...and for the first time since the Bubonic Plague, the population began dropping. People lost their trust in great powers, both government and divine, as they questioned their purpose in this world."

-Harper Laundry, former citizen of the Systems Alliance.

Chapter 1: First Contact

Year. 2070