Prologue

LOVE ME FOREVER is a Kindle Scout winner.

It's a romantic, historical time travel saga with two amazing love stories -- one heroine one from the present who goes back to 1862 and a sassy Southern belle.

And, of course, the two gorgeous men they love...but will they survive the war?

She wore gray.

He wore blue.

But their love defied the boundaries of war.

And time.

Prologue

On a lonely road in the Tennessee woods

August 26, 1862

Even before she saw the swath of blue moving through the trees, Pauletta Sue could smell them. Yankees. The raw odor of unwashed Federal soldiers made her nauseous. She pushed her horse harder.

"Faster, Savannah Lady, faster!"

Crack! came the sound of her whip hitting the mare's flanks. Her scarlet-gloved hand trembled as she repeated her command, louder now. The animal sensed her urgency, snorted, and then raced down the dark country road. Its hooves made dull thudding sounds on the hard dirt as horse and rider went deeper into the woods.

She chewed on her lower lip. What had come over her? She'd never struck the beautiful bay mare before. She preferred to ride her with a tight bit and an easy hand, but she had to get through the Yankee pickets. Nothing must stop her.

They won't catch me.

Her gray silk skirts, frayed at the hem, whipped at her ankles. Pauletta Sue rode sidesaddle, her long, hooded cloak made of fine black wool billowing behind her like heavy smoke, shielding her face from the demons in blue hidden around her. Union soldiers ready to strike her down if she dared to stop.

She couldn't. Wouldn't.

The danger of her mission chilled her. She dared not think about what lay ahead. She feared dying before she found the re-venge she sought, for only revenge could release the madness and torment of her broken heart.

The man she loved was dead.

Shot as a Confederate spy.

No, no!

She kept going, the sounds of the forest—the squeal of a trapped pig, wagon wheels rumbling in the distance, a faraway can-non firing—muffled by the loud beating of her heart.

I won't allow you to die in vain, Colton, my love.

I promise.

She looked up, hopeful. A lone bird creased the early-morning sky with its silent wings, soaring upward and out of sight. She watched it disappear into the heavens. Like a soul in flight.

His soul.

A single streak of indigo bled through the grayness, startling her. It was too much to bear, the loneliness that dwelled in her too much to endure. Hadn't she risked her reputation not to mention the ire of her papa to be with the handsome Ranger? Why, it would be an insult to all she held dear as a Southern woman not to take matters in her own hands. Colton deserved no less, she thought, struggling to hold back tears. What a fine evening it was when the tall scout burst into the ballroom at a levee she was attending, fired up with delivering an important message from President Jefferson Davis. A light misty rain covered him from head to toe like shiny armor, his broad shoulders filling the archway with the power of an avenging angel, his fierce blue eyes searching the room, making eve-ry lady breathless, every man envious.