Chapter 2 - The world is weird

© Sandra Corton 2015

Chapter 2 - The world is weird

So I may have stayed up late last night, staring at the book in my hands. Occasionally I would also stare at the Brown's house as their party died down. Then I tried to pretend that none of that happened tonight.

My book hadn't flown over to their house of its own accord. I certainly didn't creep into Ty's room and caught him making out with some girl. Ty did not call me his love, nor did he order that I owed him a kiss. This was all my incredibly overactive imagination.

Now that I had managed to convince myself that it was all a farce, the last thing I need was for the doorbell to ring. It was the wee hours of the morning and hearing that innocent sound terrified me. I ducked under my covers and prayed for them to go away. So cowardly for a person in her twenties, but I couldn't help myself.

So began the tap on my window and I seriously began shaking. The doors that led out onto my balcony rattled for a moment before a knock sounded. I may have squealed the tiniest bit. Crud were the burglars truly expecting me to let them in?

"Jillybean?" Ty's voice managed to soothe me.

I poked my head out from under my covers to see a shadow standing on my balcony. Why was Ty trying to get into my house? My book! My world that I created that he somehow knew, flooded my mind.

"Please let me in Jilly, I need to talk to you." He sounded so earnest that I pulled myself out of bed.

I stood on the opposite side of the glass to him and full on stared. He once again appeared as something eerie to the boy that I had always known. Moonlight almost seemed to shine through his skin as I quickly looked away from the grey depths of his eyes.

"What is it?" I asked as I opened the glass but left the screen door locked.

"Let me in and I'll tell you." He urged but I took a step back.

"No, even if you’re that desperate to talk, it can still wait until tomorrow." I crossed my arms over my chest and he watched the movement with keen interest.

"Okay I understand." He turned away from me then and I watched him walk to the balcony edge. He sent me a quick look before staying where he was. "You know something Jillybean? I'm going to sit here until you feel ready to talk." He pulled out the chair that I had been sitting on earlier and I could feel my eyes going wide.

"That's not necessary." I waved my hands in front of me feeling quite edgy.

"I know that you're worried about something and I'm assuming it has to do with what happened tonight."

"How would you know that?" I asked as I stared at him.

"The light on in your room when you're normally a heavy sleeper is pretty telling." He pointed to my lamp which was switched on.