Hazrat Yusuf(A.S)

Start from the beginning

After some while the first was killed and the second man was released and returned to the palace.The second man forgot about Yusuf(A.S) and Yusuf(A.S) stayed in prison for another few years.

One night,the king had a very strange dream which he did not understand.He called all the priests to come and interpret his dream.The king told that he saw seven weak cows eat seven fat cows and seven green ears of corn followed by seven dry ears of corn.Nobody could interpret his dream.Then the cup-bearer remembered Yusuf(A.S),he told the king that Yusuf(A.S) could interpret dreams.

Then the king sent one of his man to ask Yusuf(A.S) about his dream.Yusuf told that their will be seven years of harvest followed by seven years of drought.He told the king to store surplus grain in the first seven years so he could feed his people during the seven years of drought years.

The king was satisfied with his interpretaion of his dream so he told one of his men to go and bring Yusuf(A.S) to him.Yusuf(A.S) refused to leave prison until the king looked into his case.When Yusuf's(A.S) case was looked,it was clear that Yusuf(A.S) was innocent.

The king said,

"Bring him to me,I will take him to serve me alone.

(Quran 12:54)

On hearing this Yusuf replied,

"Set me over the store-houses of the land: I will indeed guard them,as one that knows there importance. (Quran 12:55)

With Allah's help he had saved enough grain to provide his neighboring countries which also had seven years of drought.

One day his ten elder brothers came for food .When Yusuf's brothers entered the palace, he recognized them but they did not recognize him.

When Yusuf's brothers came to ask Yusuf for grain Yusuf asked them how many people Their were in their family.They told him that they had left one younger brother at home with thier father,so Yusuf gave them grain and told them to bring their younger brother next time they come and if they do not bring him he, would not give them grain.

The brothers went back home with enough grain for one year.When their grain was about to finsh they had to go back to Egypt to get grain before they went they asked their father if they could take their younger brother Benjamin.

Their father said,

"Shall I entrust him to you as I had previously entrusted his brother? (Quran 12:64)

However their father accept to send his youngest son with his brothers,but their father made them do a promise to take good care of him and bring him back safely.

When the caravan reached Egypt,Yusuf took Benjamin aside and told him that he was Yusuf,he told him not to tell his brothers that he was Yusuf.

Yusuf decided to keep Benjamin with him, so he took the king's cup and put it in Benjamin's bag,while the brothers were geting ready to leave it was announced that the king's cup was missing.Yusuf ordered that the caravan to be searched.The brothers said we have not stolen anything.

Yusuf said,

"What then shall be the penalty of this, if you are proved to have lied? (Quran 12:74)

The brothers responded,

"The penalty should be that he in whose saddle-bag it is found,should have the law applied to him. (Quran 12:75)

It was Ibrahim's law that the victim of the thief as a slave in compensation for the crime committed against him.

When the caravan was searched the cup was found in Benjamin's bag so Yusuf(A.S) kept him.The brothers went back home and told their father that Benjamin had stolen the king's cup and the minister had kept him as a punishment. The brothers promised that it was the truth.Their father did not belive them and thought that they had plotted to grt rid of him like they did to Yusuf, then their father wept so much that he went blind.

Then their father told his sons to go to Egypt and to try and have him relesed.

"O my sons! Go and enquire about Yusuf (A.S) and his brother and never give up hope of Allah's soothing mercy truly no one despairs of Allah's soothing mercy,except those who have no faith.

(Quran 12:87)

So Yaqub's sons went back to Egypt and pleaded with Yusuf (A.S) to release their youngre brother Benjamin.

Yusuf replied,

"Do you know how you dealt with Yusuf and his brother,not knowing what you were doing?

(Quran 12:89)

At once the brothers realized that it was Yusuf(A.S) .First they thought that he might want to punish them,but he treated them kindly.Then Yusuf(A.S) took off his shirt and gave it to his brothers, and told them to go back home and cast it upon their face.He told them this would restore their sight.Then he told them to bring the whole family to Egypt.

As they approached to their home,their father sensed that they were near because he could smell Yusuf's shirt.

He told his family,

"I do indeed scent Yusuf(A.S) and I am not making it up." (Quran 12:94)

When the caravan arrived,the brothers casted Yusuf's shirt on their father's face and their sight was restored.

The whole Yusuf's family went to Egypt.When the arrived they all prostrated themselves before him.In this way the dream that Yusuf(A.S) had as a child of the sun,moon and the eleven stars prostrating themselves before him became true.

Yusuf prostrated himself before Allah saying,

"O my Lord! You have indeed bestowed on me power,and taught me the interpretation of dreams.O You Creator of the heavens and the earth! You are my Protector in this world and in the Hereafter.Take You my soul at death as one submitting Your Will,and unite me with the righteous." (Quran 12:101)