The Soul Mate's Curse

"The Soul Mate's Curse"

Characters:

Dad: looks to be in his twenties. He doesn't mind the curse, but he sees that Justin is hearting because of it. He asks Alex to come by and speak to his son.

Mom: looks to be in her twenties. She regrets being with Justin's Dad, now that she no longer loves him but has to stay with him otherwise she'll die.

Alex: The same age as Justin. He's Justin's Uncle, but not related by blood. Justin's dad invited him over to help Justin with his curse problem.

Justin: 17 years old. He's cursed from his father's side with the "soul mates curse"

Jaime: 17 years old. The girl Justin likes. She also likes Justin and tries to understand his curse.

Act 1

Scene 1

[Lights on. Two people standing, yelling at each other in middle of stage. Off to stage right is Justin's bedroom. It has a bed near the window and a table next to it, a picture frame on top. Justin walks in from stage left, seeing his parents glaring at each other, looking as if they just fought.]

Justin

I'm home.

Mom

[She's still glaring at the man opposite her.] You came home late again. What did you do after school today? You didn't place a curse on someone did you?

Justin

I'm no wizard, so casting spells and curses isn't something I'm capable of.

Mom

  [Turns to face Justin.] I'm not kidding around.

Justin

  Neither am I.

 [Mom screams and goes after Justin, but before she could, Dad holds her off.]

Dad

Go to your room Justin. [Justin hesitates.] Now son!

[Justin stalks away, throwing his backpack against the wall before sitting down on his bed. He covers his face with his hands, breathing hard. He puts headphones over his ears. Spot lights on the couple.

Mom

[Mom trying to get into Justin's room, but Dad is holding her back.] Justin! Justin! Never do it Justin! Don't curse anyone with your power.... not like how your father cursed me.

                                                                                    Dad

How dare you! It's not a curse. It's a beautiful thing. It links you and your partner forever, making you the most perfect soul mate.

                                                                                       Mom

[She stops struggling against him and crosses her arms. She glares at him.] Heh, 'soul mate'. Would a soul mate chain me to him? Would he bind me to only be his? Would he have had sex with me and claim me as if I'm some sort of object?

[Dad throws up his hand and acts as if he was going to hit her, but doesn't. Mom is on the ground, crying.]

Dad

Chain? Bind? You were the one who seduced me! I told you about this power that runs through my blood, but yet you dismissed it and still wanted to do it! If you want anyone to blame, blame yourself!