Charlie the Ordinary Caterpillar: A childrens story

A story for Casey on her sixth birth

   CHARLIE THE ORDINARY CATERPILLAR

          One very hot day Charlie the caterpillar was sitting on a leaf daydreaming.

  I wish I were not so ordinary he said to himself. I want to be beautiful like that flower. The flower was a beautiful yellow rose. Just then a red bird came and sit down beside Charlie.

Hi Charlie he said, what are you so droopy for.

 I want to be beautiful said Charlie but I am just ordinary.

 What do you mean said the red bird I think you are a fine caterpillar?

 But I want to be beautiful Charlie replied.

Well said the red bird, one of these days you will look at yourself and say I am beautiful, and off he flew.

Charlie decided to go for a walk near the pond. He walked for a while then stopped for a bite to eat. As he was eating he saw himself in the water. He looked and looked but still could not see anything beautiful about himself. What is beautiful about a caterpillar anyway he said? I guess that I will just have to be ordinary.

          The summer days went by and Charlie went about his way playing with his friends, but still wishing that he were beautiful. On rainy days Charlie would climb a tree and get under a leaf and take a nap. He liked the rainy days. When the sun came out Charlie would climb down and look all around and see what the rain had done. He thought everything looked so new and smelled so good after the rain. It madeeverything beautiful; the flowers would sparkle with droplets of rain on them. The sky would be so blue with the fluffy clouds floating lazily by. Charlie would smile and go to the pond to see if the rain had made him beautiful, but as Charlie looked in the water all he saw was an ordinary caterpillar, oh my he sighed not even the rain can make me beautiful.

One day as Charlie was nibbling on a very good leaf; he saw the red bird again.

Hi said the red bird, what have you been doing all summer long Charlie?

 Well said Charlie, I have just been playing and watching the flowers bloom, they are so beautiful.

Yes they are said the red bird. Just then two little birds came down and joined the red bird. These are my children said the red bird. Children he said meet Charlie.

Hi said the two little birds.

We just learned to fly said one of the birds.

We can fly so high said the other little bird.

What do you see when you fly said Charlie?

Well we can see the top of

the trees and the ponds below and all we try and catch the clouds.

Dad why can't we catch the clouds asked one of the little birds. I want to land on a cloud said the other little bird.

The clouds are not solid said the red bird; you cannot sit on them you would fall through.

 They float in the air and sometime they bring us rain said Charlie. They make the flowers sparkle like beautiful diamonds.

Yes said the daddy red bird. Clouds do wonderful things, why if we didn't have clouds we would have no water to drink.

 Sometimes you can make believe they have different shapes. Look at that one said Charlie, it looks like a dog with floppy ears.

It has a long tail said one of the little birds; it looks like it is running across the sky. Let's go chase it said the other little bird and off they went.

These two are really keeping me on my toes said the daddy bird. I will see you later he said to Charlie, and off he flew to catch up with his two children.

 Look at them flying through the sky Charlie said to himself. They can fly so high and see everything, I wish I could fly and see all over and try and touch the clouds, it must be a lot of fun. Charlie walked to the pond thinking about what all he could see if he could fly.

          That summer the little birds grew up into big red birds, they often came to visit Charlie and tell him what they had seen that day. If only I could fly said Charlie like you and see everything. Is it as beautiful as a red rose after the rain asked Charlie?

Oh said the little bird that was not so little anymore, it is even more beautiful than you can imagine, one day maybe you can fly and see for yourself.

I am just an ordinary caterpillar said Charlie I cannot fly like you.

 Well maybe one day you can and off they flew, see you later Charlie.

          The summer turned into fall, the days kept getting colder and colder. The leafs turned red and gold and started to fall. It sure is getting cold said Charlie, why even the flowers have go in for the winter. One day little white snowflakes came down out of the clouds. My goodness said Charlie this is really beautiful but I am getting cold, I think I will climb a tree and get snuggly warm and take a nap. So up a tree he went, climbing until he found just the right spot, it was just inside of an old tree with deep crevices and a large branch sheltering it. Well said Charlie I think this is the perfect place to sleep, Charlie began to weave himself a cocoon; he made it so nice and thick that the cold could not get in. Oh this feel great as his eyes began to close. Charlie went off to sleep without even a yawn. The winter was long and cold, but Charlie didn't feel a thing. He stayed all cozy and warm in his cocoon.

               The winter gave way to spring with all its new bright colors. Charlie woke us on a rather hot spring day, my oh my it must be time to wake up. Charlie went about the task of getting out of his cocoon. My goodness, I sure did make this good. Finally he made his way out. This is a beautiful day said Charlie as he stretched. Charlie jumped! What is this on me? He looked around and saw beautiful wings, he moved them, and they were attached to him. The wings were a bright orange with black around the edges and dark veins. They were indeed very beautiful. Charlie was a monarch butterfly. You see the butterfly has to be a caterpillar before it can become a butterfly.  I am a butterfly he said to himself. Charlie worked very hard learning to use his wings. Before long he could soar up into the sky. Oh my he exclaimed, it is even more beautiful than I could ever imagine. Charlie went to show all of his friends. He came to the two little red birds that were not so little anymore. It is me Charlie, he said.

              Why Charlie one red bird said, you have your wings.

               The other red bird said, hay Charlie, how do you like your new wings?

               They are wonderful. I can see so much, I flew with the clouds today, it was so beautiful, more beautiful that I could ever imagine. See you soon; I need to show everyone my wings. He came to the daddy red bird.

             Well, well said the red bird, what have we here?

              It is me, Charlie the caterpillar; I got my wings, what do you think?

              I think that they are very beautiful said the red bird. I am so happy I could shout to the world with joy exclaimed Charlie. I never could imagine things could be so beautiful from above. You would not believe how the pond sparkles when you are flying.

              Well said the red bird I see you are having the time of your life.

                I am so glad that I am not ordinary anymore-said Charlie. Everything is so beautiful and now so am I.

                  Charlie, said the wise red bird, you were always beautiful!

                        HAPPY BIRTHDAY CASEY

                                    Love Gem

Please comment and tell me how I did. I am new at this!!!!!!!!!!!!!