Chapter 1

Here I am, at another party, dancing with another guy who doesn't know the art of dirty dancing , drinking another beer.

I don't think I've ever regretted any of decisions. But coming to this party was one. The kids here were polished, they lacked people like me. People who don't give a shit and aren't afraid to speak their mind. The kids here sit in class and never miss anything. I'm pretty sure I have the lowest marks in the whole school...and I'm a straight C student! But I've made my choice and today is my last day here. Tomorrow I'm walking myself straight into Wendy's office and demanding a transfer. I don't care where she sends me, as long as I'm far away form here.

**Next day**

I walk up the familiar steps with my hands behind my back, cuffed. We walk in through the front and I see a familiar security guard standing there.

"Sup Marty!! Missed you last week. How's the wife?" Marty shakes his head at me and grins.

"Sup squirt. Diana is good and told me to tell you she left cookies for you in the case." Oh how I love me so cookies. I smiled at him and kept walking towards the lady at the desk. I could tell she was new because she looked surprised to see me.

" Skylar Oakland. Ill be under recent." She looked confused and typed away on her computer. I looked at her name tags and saw it read 'Sarah'.  She nodded to the officer behind me and he started pulling me away. But not before I called out to her.

" Thanks Sarah. I'll see you next week." She looked stunned.

As the meatbags behind kept pushing me, I saw where they were were taking me.

"Hold up fellas. I'm supposed to report directly to Wendy. I have always told you people how much I hate sharing a temp. cell with some ratty hobo." But they made no move to change direction. I spotted the chief on her computer and halted in front of her desk. I leaned over and talked to her.

"Chief! How you been." She looked up with an annoyed expression.

"I was great until you walked in Oakland. What do you want?"  I just smiled at her. Wendy always says to kill people with kindness.

"Good good. But do you mind explaining to me why those knuckle heads aren't taking me to Wendy's office?" She smiled before answering.

"Wendy has been on vacation and won't be break till tomorrow. So you get to spend the night with whatever bookie we have at the moment." I was shocked to say the least. Why? Because Wendy hadn't taken a vacation in 10 years.

So here I am. Being held in a mini prison with some drunk old guy who is passed out on the bench. I mean, who would've thought that a couple firecrackers thrown into a Shell station would be enough to put a person in here. I wouldn't say it's the worst thing in the world, but it comes pretty damn close. So, I've moved to counting ceiling tiles because Lord knows I'm not falling asleep in here. Last time some guy my age fell asleep, they hauled his ass to juvie.

I look at the clock and see that it reads 4:30. I've counted all the ceiling tiles, all the floor tiles that I could see, looked for countless numbers of patterns in the bars, and bit my thumb nail as much as it will let me. I can't help it anymore. And it doesn't come as a shock to me when I close my eyes. And not a minute after do I hear a door open and keys rattle. I look over my shoulder and see my guardian angel.

"Wendy! Fuck, Wendy! You have no idea how much I have missed you. I cant believe you took a vacation! How was it? Did Brad go with you?" Wendy looked up and a mask of confusion swiped over her features. After a few seconds she snapped back and realised it was me.

"Skylar? Skylar Oakland? What the hell are you doing here. I just put you in a house. A nice one at that. Why did you leave?" I could see how she was that I didn't like the house she chose. Wendy has always tried to do the best for me. I met her when I was 6 and scared out of my mind. Wendy was the only one I talked to. She reminded me of a an Angel painting I had in my room. She had long slightly waved brown hair with bright caramel eyes and raised cheekbones. She was a personal savior. But no one can save you from your personal demons.

"Wendy, I'm really sorry, but I just didn't fit in there. They were too propped and polite." She shook her in disappointment and it stung. Like a little kid getting told they were annoying by an older sibling.

"That was the point Sky. You understand that I cant have you that much longer, 2 more houses and it's out of my hands. 2 more houses and you become a ward of the state. I can't help you when that happens." I rubbed my temples in frustration. 24. That's my number. All foster kids have a number. Some get tattoos, some use shoes. Me? I use Wendy's wall. I look over to the corner and see the scratches I made in the wall. She's never said anything about them, but I know she knows they are there.

"Please, just send me someplace I can work with. I don't want the ghetto neighborhood, I don't want a pish-posh fancy-dancy area. I want someplace normal. Someplace where I can at least try to fit in." I gave the best look I could to show I meant business. She looks at me and I can see her inner battle. Wendy has th biggest heart ever. She was my complete opposite. And I loved it. She sighed and shook her head one last time.

"You're gonna be the death of me Sky. Fine. You win. Ill look. But we have to make a deal first. A challenge almost." I smiled at Wendy. You see, I've never been one to pass up a challenge, especially not when it comes to Wendy.

"What you thinkin?" Tapping her nails on her desk, she looks up at me and smirks.

"You stay in this house for 6 months, and if our don't like it, ill take you in. If you don't I turn you over the minute you walk in my office." I looked wide-eyed at Wendy and I could feel my mouth hanging open. I feel like I'm signing my death certificate, but it wouldnt be the first time.

"Deal." Signed. Sealed. Delivered.
*********
1151 words