Reconnecting

Maximilian Croix was feeling nervous about her blind date since she hasn't gone out with anyone serious in a while. Medical School kept her busy these past few years but she had just started her residency in orthopedics at one of the best hospitals in Manhattan. It now felt like the time was right to start dating again.

But she was running late for her date today because it took her forever to pick the right dress. Maxi narrowed it down to 3 choices until she decided to go with a midi green dress with short sleeves, printed with small white polka dots. She put on her wool coat and headed for the subway that would take her from her Upper West Side Apartment to a restaurant in the West Village.

Her date's name was Kuahel Leon. He introduced himself to her after he clicked on her dating profile and started sending her messages. Maxi's roommate Sidina, actually set up her account for her a few weeks ago and even wrote the entire page herself, mainly because she felt sorry for her friend who didn't seem to have any previous interest in dating.

"When was the last time you were in a relationship?" Sidina asked Maxi.

"I can't remember," Maxi replied.

"Are you serious? It's been that long that you can't remember?" Sidina raised her eyebrows sarcastically and laughed as she began typing up Maxi's profile.

Maxi just laughed back in her defense, but she didn't really want to admit to Sidina certain details about her largely non-existent dating history. The last time she was in a relationship was when she was an undergraduate and the relationship didn't even last very long. He was her first love if Maxi was being honest, but she also broke it off with the guy mostly because she started to feel guilty about stringing him along. Since she didn't think her father would approve of him, Maxi thought her heart—and his—would eventually end up shattering into pieces. She felt it was for the best to end things gracefully after a few months of being together to make it less painful for both of them, coinciding with the time that she decided to quit at the restaurant where they worked together. He was busy with back-of-the-house chores—hauling in produce, dishwashing help, and cleaning up tables; Maxi worked as a waitress. She didn't really need the money but she thought it was a good idea to just experience working for the very first time. In the end, while Maxi made some money, she left with a broken heart. Then medical school soon arrived at her doorstep. And she never really had a chance to put herself on the dating market since.

***

Her blind date with Kuahel didn't really end up that great either. But Maxi's first impression of him was promising. He was very handsome like a Viking god. He was about 6 foot tall, had long blonde hair tied in a neat manbun and striking green eyes. He was very well-dressed wearing khakis and a casual fall blue jacket over a polo shirt.

"So what do you do?" He asked after they settled at their table and ordered their appetizers and drinks.

"I just started my residency in Orthopedics at Mt. Sinai," Maxi said proudly.

"Interesting..."

"What about you?"

"I invest in start-ups."

"What companies are you interested in?"

"Fintech, Renewable Energy, that sort of thing. Just the usual, I guess..."

"Ah..."

Over the course of their meal, their conversation mostly went back and forth about the layers of work and the social circles they inhabited. They shared similar backgrounds—the suburbs, private school, trust funds, and absent parents with high expectations. They had enough in common to make it to a second date, but there was just no spark, in Maxi's opinion—at least not yet. Kuahel also possessed the slight arrogance of a well-to-do son who didn't have to elbow his way into the world. He had bank accounts ready for investing as soon as he turned 21 without having to worry about paying off student loans or covering for rent. Their worlds were just too similar and that made it a little suffocating.