Dark Lullaby: Chapter One-The Meeting

Dark Lullaby-Chapter One.

I awoke to the sound of long, loud beeping. I smacked the off button on my alarm and rubbed my eyes. Groaning, I realized yesterday wasn't a dream. I sighed and stood up. The dark wooden floor was still unfamiliar to me. I had been here one day and already hated it.

Crossing over to the double doors which led outside, I put yesterday's events into a logical order. My hands pushed open the doors and a sharp wind hit me. I slammed the doors shut, still unused to coldness. I sank to the floor and crossed my arms.

I wasn't one to hold a grudge for long, but this time was different.

My parents were always being transferred for work. They'd whisk me away to here, there, and everywhere for their jobs. I was born in Arizona, and since then have been moved nine times. However, it was always in the south somewhere. My last home was in Florida and I'd been there for a year. Suddenly, my parents needed to be somewhere else, so I naturally needed to be brought with them. They didn't tell me where we were going until yesterday, which is when we left.

New Jersey.

It was hours and hours away from anywhere I'd ever lived. I loved Florida, and I had grown to think it would always be my home. Nevertheless, I thought wrong. After all the trash I had to go through, you'd think there'd be a reason for it. In my eyes, there was absolutely nothing I was gaining from always being moved.

My parents were never home. They worked from before the crack of dawn until at least midnight. I had grown accustomed to living alone. I knew very well how to take good care of myself, since I rarely saw them. You'd think they did it because they loved me. You'd think they were just trying their best to provide as much as possible for me, their only child.

You'd be thinking wrong.

My parents were money-thirsting, heartless, and careless. The money always came first. I was definitely not exaggerating it. For my eighth grade graduation, I'd been the only student that had no family there whatsoever. I'd been valedictorian of my grade, and they didn't care at all.

Due to their greedy ways, my parents lost all connection with my other family members. I didn't even know anyone in my family except for my parents.

The worst part about moving is being the "new kid". For the first day, I was always "new boy". I got ready for school and dreaded the day. Since the school was within walking distance, I slowly made my way there. Believe me, I was in no rush to get there.

I reached the front lawn of Riverday Falls High School. Students were spread everywhere in front of the brick building. Girls on picnic tables talked and laughed loudly. Boys joked around, pushing each other and snickering. I was so absorbed in the scene that I jumped when someone poked my shoulder.

A group of your stereotypical popular girls stood in front of me. The front girl had unnatural bouncy curls that were bright blond. The other three had matching curls and wore head to toe pink. "Hey, you must be new here! I'm Melanie, you?" the leader said. Her voice was high-pitched and dripped with obnoxiousness she was likely unaware of.

"Damian," I responded tentatively. These girls seemed annoying already.

"That name is soooo hot! I like it. So, oh my gawd, you're going to, like, love it here!" Melanie squealed. I raised my eyebrows.

"Um, thanks. And great."

Melanie smiled with perfect teeth that looked obviously whitened. "I have to give you a tour and tell you, like, all about the school!"

I slowly nodded, hoping she'd catch the hint. Thankfully, there was a distraction. "Hey, Melanie. Principal James wants to tell you something. Something about a dress code violation. He said he'll make you wear the lost and found clothes if you don't go home and change right now," a girl said. Melanie and her friends fled the yard and down the sidewalk. I turned to face the girl to thank her.

She spoke before I could. "Trust me, they're the most obnoxious girls you'll ever meet. Might want to steer clear of the Fake Four," she told me, smirking.

"Is that what they're called?" I asked dumbly. She burst out laughing.

"No. That's my nickname for them. Anyway, I'm Amelia."

I felt I knew her from somewhere. Amelia had long and black straight hair with bangs reaching toward her dark brown eyes. She had pale and flawless skin. I realized I had kept her waiting for a reply. "I'm...Damian," I answered. I felt heat growing on my face. I had almost forgotten my name.

She half smiled. "We should get going. The bell's about to ring." As if on cue, a school bell rang loudly. "See you around, Damian." I swallowed hard, the butterflies still in my stomach. Her presence left me with a feeling I'd never experienced before. Her face stayed in my mind as I struggled to catch up with her.

Maybe moving wasn't as bad as I thought.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Run!" I screamed through the darkness. I grabbed his arm and pulled him. The footsteps were loud and right behind us. I began to see the outside world, blanketed with a night sky. "It's okay, we're almost out," I whispered to him. The footsteps were pounding like thunder now.

Fresh air was soon beating against my face and I smiled. I needed just a few more moments and I'd be free. I'd be free to the world. I'd be free to love him without restrictions, without worrying who may catch us. It was impossible to tame my love for him. I had brought him into my dangerous and dark world, and I took full responsibility for him. He had yet to understand everything about my past and the twisted way I was forced to live.

He moaned next to me, and I turned to gaze at him. He was drenched in blood and on the ground, and she stood over his helpless body. "It was bound to happen. I took the liberty of getting the job over with," she told me with a smirk.

The anger soared through my body as I held her neck. "You, such a sinner, are not making the correct choice," I hissed in her ear. She cackled loudly.

"How do you plan on stopping it?" she dared me. It was my turn to smirk.

I reached into his coat pocket and pulled a dagger coated with human blood while keeping my grasp on her neck. She struggled to break free, clearly aware of the power I held in my hand. I tightened my grip on her and marked a "V" under my hand. She fell to the ground and vanished.

Dread and dispair overwhelmed me as I looked at my love. He was dead.

~~~~~~

Fan, comment, vote, share? It'd mean a lot, thanks.(:

P.S. The part in italics is NOT Damian's point of view. It's a different point, sort of a flashback, but it's a mystery who's flashback it is.;)