The Ephemeral Iniuria

The King was uninformed. The fool had been cheering with his nobles at the at the near victory against the Barbarians of The South. A victory he would only live to see on account of his cowardice. He ordered his men forward from his great throne. He laughed and gargled wine alongside his men. The fortuned to come numbered in the thousands. The slaves, the women, the gold, land. This is what the King spoke of. The King was uninformed.

Jamias had spotted yet another Iniuria tumbling towards the city. The cloud of iron threads slipped through the armour of those still holding the siege , turning entire platoons into a red mist. He ran. Weaving in and out of the human traffic that filled the busy streets he screamed, “Iniuria! Iniuria in the fields! Warn the King! Alert the Lord! Iniuria in the fields! Iniuria in the fi-”
“HAVE YOU NO SENSE BOY?” The unspoken voice of The Ephemeral pierced into Jamias's mind.”We have been through this, or have you forgotten?” Jamias stopped. The street life continued on without him.
“Have I forgotten what sir?” He yelled, curious as to who had spoken so clearly. He felt the breath of a long sigh behind him.
“Do not turn around. To the King we shall go.” Jamias acted as ordered. He was not sure why, but he summoned a sense of security from the voice.

Within moments they had reached the doors of the great citadel. The elite enforcement immediately approached Jamias to execute him. No one of his class were to come this close. A long, cloaked arm reached over Jamias's shoulder. He dared not look at it.
“IT IS THE EPHEMERAL!” A guard screamed. The group of men surrounding the great stone door immediately drew their weapons. The largest one, who's armour was accented in grand, gold materials began his engage. He paused. The other men followed. They all froze. Not in fear, Jamias knew, but why then? The men suddenly began opening their mouths as if to scream, but no sound was to be heard. The cried and screamed harder and harder has their bodies slowly became encased in glass. Some passers stopped and watched in horror – others move on as if tired of viewing it. Jamias had never seen anything thing like it, but again, the voice gave him comfort. He, and the wraith behind him moved forward, past the now hollow shells of former men, now here to display the last thoughts of their demise.  

The two of them continued forward. Jamias reached out to force the great door out of his path. He pushed. It resisted. The cold stone didn't so much as budge. Again the mysterious arm reached over his shoulder, and so the stone burst into a cloud of dust. Jamias knew there was no time to gaze in amazement. He had to push forward. The King sat high on his throne and cared little for the arrival of his new guests. The fool had been cheering with his nobles at the at the near victory against the Barbarians of The South. A victory he would only live to see on account of his cowardice. He ordered his men forward from his great throne. He laughed and gargled wine alongside his men. The fortuned to come numbered in the thousands. The slaves, the women, the gold, land. This is what the King spoke of. The King was uninformed.
“My King!” Jamias approached, unafraid. “An Iniuria has formed in the field! You have many great men out there! Will you do nothing?”
The King lazily rolled his eyes. “You know nothing of Iniuria, peasant.” An even lazier gesture ordered the guards to evict the child.
“No... NO!! The castle!! The PEOPLE ARE IN DANGER! WE ARE IN DANGER! WILL YOU DO NOTH-”
“BE SILENT!” The King rose, impatient. Jamias fell silent, much to his own distaste. “Have him removed. I will not sit through this again. Don't bother calling for your little Ephemeral. He as left your side.” The King was right, The Ephemeral had vanished. Jamias could only hold back tears as the guards threw him out the empty archway where the great door once stood. Spilling out onto the streets, he felt the sense of doom soak into him again. He picked himself up and joined the flow of the crowd.

Passing by person by person he scanned their focus, their movements, their expressions for any chance of a potential snatch. Pickpocketing was the only life line for Jamias. A dishonest one, he knew, but the only one that got him through. He stumbled around the streets, lost in his thoughts for the longest of time. When would his next meal be? Would those unwanted hay bails provide shelter from the biting frost this coming night? Would he be better off out there? He found himself peering through the iron grill that guarded the city from alien warriors. Gazing over the fields, he watched the small armies collide. The blood and gore, the horror, the screams of pain and fear didn't phase Jamais in the slightest. His past had hardened him for the worst of experiences fate could throw at him, or so he believed. A faint sound hummed in the distance. A familiar sound. A silver cloud whirled and churned over the hills and made it's way towards the two armies. Some men panicked, some continued on. Horror filled Jamias soul as he watched the barbarians turn to grains of meat, steel threads penetrating every fibre of their bodies effortless. He ran. Darting in and out of people of the busy streets, he had to raise the alarm. “Iniuria! Iniuria in the fields! Warn the King! Alert the Lord! Iniuria in the fields! Iniuria in the fi-”
“HAVE YOU NO SENSE BOY?” A dark voice echoed into his mind. One not spoken, but heard. ”We have been through this, or have you forgotten?” Jamias stopped. The street life continued on without him.
“I have not, Sir.” Jamias turned. The Ephemeral looked down upon him. Innocent wise eye looked down upon his, piecing his defences.
“The King isn't going save us is he?”
“No. Come. We will do this ourselves.”