The beckoning

My gaze flickered to the sky above me and saw the swarm of dark,black clouds. Even though only a few drops had created ripples in the still lake I knew there was much more to come. I ducked under the nearest tree, a large maple with only the odd leaf still hanging on to the thick branchs. Though I didn't expect any less it is autumn after all.

My eyes slid to my watch reading 6:37 pm. I should be getting home soon, Adara will be extraordinarily mad if I miss dinner. Again. But I took my time dawdling through the mass of trees that led to my house and before I knew it I came out into the clearing onto a large hill staring down at my house.

I live in a house that's too unfamiliar to call a home. It is in a field with overgrown wild grass, one way is thick bush as far as you can see and the other is rolling hills. We are half an hour away from any other civilization although I like having the freedom I have here.

I live with my foster family. Adara is perfect in everyway. She has the gorgeous figure, the flawless skin and the chocolate brown eyes. She is as sweet as candy but does stand up for herself and makes herself noticeable. Richard is a strong man but is more relaxed and lay back, like me. Instead of brown he has shinning blue eyes that light up the whole room. He has sandy hair and is quite tall but both him and his wife are young, only early 30's. So there's the beautiful, perfect couple. Then there's me.

My name is Gracie Saunders. I am 1

6 years old and just moved here from London. I have never been told that I am beautiful nor do I believe I am, I never really cared about my appearance but back in london I was told I was cute. On many occasions. I'm small for my age and nether thin or fat. I have a head of dark brown hair with the slightest bit of red that falls below my ribs. The one thing I like about myself is my eyes. I have mothers eyes, dark, dark brown almost black. They seem so lifeless yet they sparkle, strange that something dark can be so bright.

I grew up in London with my parents Rosie and Thomas Saunders. They were like me. They were the people who never stopped smiling, the ones who saw the beauty in everything and the good in bad. They always seemed so open like i could tell them anything but i knew they didn't do the same. They where keeping something from me. They were my anchor so when they died the floor just fell from underneath me.

I was in my room on a week night doing homework, they were downstairs by the fire and I herd this scream. It was as though someone was rubbing a cheese grater against my ears, it was eat splitting. I knew straight away it was my mothers. I panicked, she never screamed that way and I had no idea what to do. Next minute I was running down the stairs and I thought i was dreaming when I saw my parents both dead on the floor. The image haunts me and it is something you can't forget.

I didn't relise I had fainted until I woke up the next morning in my neighbors house wishing last night was a terrible nightmare. But it wasn't. As much as I wanted to wish it away i couldn't. My neighbor Camilla, an elderly woman, herd my mom scream and called the cops and ambulance. They got there as soon as they could but not soon enough. My parents had been murdered.

They funeral was short and sweet with just their closest friends. As they had no siblings and both their parents were dead so I was the only emediate family member. A few days later I was put up for adoption and the house and money went to the bank as I'm to young to enheriate anything. The Martens adopted me a few weeks later, they wanted a kid that would be off to college in a few years and would be able to take care off themselves.

I've been to therapists about my parents, I haven't been right in the head since the accident. I see shadows and silhouettes of people that aren't there although I was sure I saw them before the accident but I never took notice. So now it's just me. I had never felt so abandoned, so alone. No one to guide me, to comfort me. I have no idea what direction I'm going in or what I even make of life anymore but the one thing I do know is the moment I heard that scream,the moment I stumbled down that staircase that was the moment I started falling.