Story One

Waking up in the daylight, the in-between is silent, well, it's always silent but this is more silent than normal.
Walking down the hallway, I pass the gardens, and for a good morning, I get a cool breeze from it.

Smiling I continue my walk, my slippers meet the stairs and I waddle down proudly.
Still not used to the in-between stairs.
And as my long nightgown meets the bottom floor, I stop and clap a bit, and after that, I continue walking as I meet the kitchen.

Seeing no cooks or bakers making something, I am stunned to see nobody there.
Emptiness filled the room and the ice was bitter, and cold.
Harsh even.

And as I open the fridge, the food the cooks cooked and let cool is still there, so that's something I can snack on to survive.
So that's a plus.
Lucky me I guess.
But I miss the chefs and bakers in the kitchen, whipping up something completely new.
I miss them.

And when someone would come in, they'd stop in their tracks and bow to us as a good morning.
I miss that.
I miss them screaming at each other in the morning.
It was annoying, but I got used to it, everyone did.

And the air stiffens as I leave the room. The stiffness I felt was odd, something or, someone. There.
Like the cooks and bakers are still there, having fun.

I want to be there, I want to scream hello and have a million responses, so running out, the air cuts against my skin, hair, ans clothes as I come to a stop at the bottom of the steps.

I screamed, "Hello ?"
Hoping someone was there to hear, but instead I got whispers next to my ear, like they were trying to scream hello back.
Shudders slip around me and I shake wildly.
Did they die in the in-between?

But, it's impossible.
Right?
We can't die here, at least I thought we couldn't.

Unless they chose, they, or spirits, as we call it.
Chose if they went to the tube.

The tube is where you get sent to either the below or higher up.
It's after you die, it's like your 'heaven or hell'
But we never use those at it is a horrid word to say to the spirits, and you get sent here to choose, or like me, you said 'heaven or hell' and im probbably stuck here for I don't know how long anymore.

They said I'd be chosen again soon after I got sent here as I was a remarkably good person, but I think they forgot about me.

They probbably chose the others to go to the tube and they got chosen there.

I mean, I hope they're happy at least.
So that's a plus, I guess.

But I'll miss them.

And I'll miss the rooms being crowded, although I'm an introvert and I strongly dislike loads of people in one room.

I'll miss that.
And when we got sick, everyone would cover their nose and mouth with a cloth as we cared for the sick person.

I hope the spirits don't forget me.
I want to be sent somewhere other than here.

Sighing, I feel a sad wave run over me like wind.

I miss wind, there isn't much here so I miss it.