A Haze So Clear

Blaise Zabini had considered himself to be different. Not essentially different by a huge leap, but his academic interests and his want to evaluate everything before him had always set him a little apart. That was, until young Mr. Black became an acquaintance.

Imagine his surprise when the young boy, who had turned out nothing like his father, displayed immense interest in the very studies and information Blaise appreciated. Add to that his curious magic problems in the first year, and Blaise Zabini found himself thoroughly invested in unraveling the mysterious young Black. And then soon he was Rigel, and Blaise was a best friend, and suddenly half the things Rigel kept secret were less suspicious and more needed. Blaise started to respect the boy's boundaries, though every now and then he wouldn't really pass on an opportunity to get to know him more.

Rigel Black seemed to live a life full of secrets, and Blaise had started to consider them part of his charm- and then this had to happen.

A halfblood. He would have been hysterical, but Blaise Zabini wasn't allowed the room to do that by his own unfazed reputation.

Everything he'd ever learnt, all the Party beliefs that had been breathed into him had been questioned in just a moment.

Rigel was a halfblood. One of the, he'd been made to think, lesser beings who were undeserving of all that his superiors had.

Was he, though?

Would he ever, Blaise thought quietly, be able to believe the same?

***

Aldon scanned the common room, and, spotting Zabini sitting, no- resting on a couch by the fireplace, made his way to the couch nearest to him.

After settling grandly on the cushion and flicking his eyes once over the tired boy, he said, "I have something of import to discuss."

Zabini looked up at him, eyes suddenly alert as he fixed his posture to one more acceptable in respect, "Is it of Rigel?"

Aldon gave a short nod as he cast a few privacy charms around them, "Indeed. Let us compare notes."

There was a short pause.

"I do not have upfront information to offer."  Zabini said, "It is best if you start."

Aldon wondered if he should throw his Ace card right then and there, but then he pushed the thought aside and decided to first confirm and build up to it. Patience pays in drama, he chanted in his head, "Have you ever.. noticed Rigel doing extra work? I mean, other than healing, brewing, and other extras, extra school work?"

Zabini paused, then said, "Only in Ancient Runes. He picked quite advanced topics without essentially knowing all the basics and then came to me for assistance… Why?" His gaze turned shrewd.

"He went to Percy Weasley for help in Advanced Transfiguration." Aldon said, "Apparently he went through all the fifth, then sixth and seventh year curriculum to keep pace with Weasley and his studies for better help." Ronald Weasley had been extremely stingant with this information, but Aldon got what he wanted.

Zabini frowned, "Then why ask for my help in Runes? He could have easily asked for Weasley's assistance in that as well."

Aldon's grin grew sharp, "Indeed. Unless he was trying to avoid suspicion." At Zabini's continued frown, he elaborated, "Marcus Flint had been getting someone else to do his homework for him. All the Professors knew it, but couldn't do much. It was kind of obvious with the sheer amount of practices he held for Quidditch and how his grades still remained good. In fact, it was surprising that he had grades at all, since he was known not to submit assignments. A certain Cho Chang also mentioned that Rigel, under ridiculous disguises, went through the library at regular intervals until he was allowed officially. While that isn't all that suspicious, considering what we know of Rigel, she mentioned that he seemed to be browsing Fifth Year Advanced Herbology that year."