Review: How to Unbake a Cake

Review: How to Unbake a Cake, by @Andrew_Mosier

Now and then, you may run into a physicist or a philosopher discussing “the arrow of time”. The concept is simple but intriguing – the arrow of time is the basic asymmetry to time that allows us to notice a difference between 'past' and 'future', at least at the macroscopic level. This asymmetry appears to be a natural consequence of the Second Law of Thermodynamics – but what if it wasn't? What if, instead of being a basic part of how the universe is set up, the arrow of time was based on human perception? What if it were entirely arbitrary? And what if you were five years old, and today was your birthday?

Those are the questions raised by @Andrew_Mosier's short story How to Unbake a Cake. This story about the very nature of time is a tiny science fiction jewel, and frankly one of the best pieces of short fiction gracing Wattpad pages. The story follows a girl named Anna through the highlights of her fifth birthday – a party, an argument with her cousin Neven (a silly boy, in Anna's opinion) and best of all, a lesson from her mother on how to bake a cake. We see all of this through Anna's eyes, and she is an engaging, bright, inquisitive little girl, who is having a fantastic day. The only thing that nags at her is Neven's insistence that perhaps, somewhere, there are people for whom time runs backwards.

The writing is quite acceptable, though a few minor typos do mar the effect. Still, the occasional exquisite turns of phrase more than make up for any minor errors. Anna, her mother, and Neven are all realistic, believable, and likable, difficult feats to achieve within the confines of such a short story (less than a thousand words). The story never contravenes its solid science-fiction premise, building up slowly to a deftly-handled twist halfway though. The twist in turn sets the reader up for a satisfying conclusion. I was left feeling very much like I had just read something by Bradbury or Serling - the feeling of being on the precipice of some great epiphany, of having read something that is, in some existential sense, perfectly and terribly true.

I will not, of course, explain the premise, nor will I ruin the twist for you. You will have to seek out the story and read it yourself. It is only three pages long. You will not be disappointed.