John's Story

Hello, my name is John. I'm 17 years old, and I have a little sister, Emma, who is 14. We just moved into this new little town. Though, it's a little odd here, everyone is strange and they all seem to be in a rush to go home before the sun rises. Maybe it's just my imagination.
When I'm on the bus stop, its usually just a half hour or so before the sun rises, and I see that people seem to be in a rush to get home. it's strange but I try not to think much of it.
When I got home from school one day, my mom looked pail. She said the neighbor's daughter passed away. "She was only 8 years old, it's so sad." My mom cried. I didn't really know any of the neighbors, we only lived here for about a month, so I didn't really care about her death.
The next morning, Emma was ill, her skin looked pail and dry. The doctor didn't know what was wrong with her. He said it was similar to what the neighbor's daughter had. He also said to give her plenty of fluids and not to let here move around to much. My mom and dad had work all day so I decided to stay home from school and take care of her.
It's been three days now, and Emma doesn't look any better. In fact, she looks worse. The doctor said she might not make it. "No! It's not true! She's not going to die!" I cried. "I'm sorry John" then the doctor walked out of the room. "John....." Emma was talking for the first time since she became ill. "yes Emma." I said. "Promise me.... Promise me you won't miss me..... Promise me you won't cry when I'm dead...." Emma's voice was so soft and quite. I then replied, "Emma don't be silly your not going to die." "Don't worry brother, I'll always be with you." she said. I looked at her and said, "I promise Emma, I promise I won't cry...." Emma then smiled "that's good...." Then Her eyes slowly closed, and they never oped again. I held back my tears, I promised her I wouldn't cry.
The next day was her funeral, my parents were crying, but I wasn't, I couldn't. It was her last wish, and when I agreed, it brought a smile to her face, a smile that I would never forget.
It's been 3 days since Emma's death. Everything felt sad and lonely, there wasn't anyone else to talk to. My parents Always worked, so I was always alone.
I went to bed early that night. While I was sleeping, something woke me up. I looked at the clock, it read 2:37 am. Then I heard it again, it was a knocking sound coming from the window. When I got up to see what it was, I froze with fear and disbelief.
It was Emma, she had wings and she was flying in front of the window. "Hey John! Guess what, I'm back!" What the hell was going on. Was this a dream? It had to be! Emma died, she's dead, it can't be her. "Surprised, John? Don't worry, it is me, and this isn't a dream. Let me in so I can explain." I nodded my head, and oped the window to let her in. I needed to know what was going on, and why she isn't dead. "Tell me, what's going on." I said. she then only smiled, and then opened her mouth, wide. I saw two fangs. Then she started coming on top of me, she then bit my neck. She was sucking my blood. As she was, I then realized that she wasn't dead, she did die, but she then came back to life. She's a vampire, with bat wings, red eyes, and big fangs. How she got out of her coffin, that will remain a mystery. "There!" She said with a smile. "Thank you for letting me in and letting me suck your blood. Now I can turn you into one of us. We can live together forever!" Emma then walked to the window. "I'll be back tomorrow, wait for me okay." then she left.
The next day, I was sick. It was the same sickness that Emma died from. I was going to tell the doctor what happened last night, but I couldn't. It was as if something was holding me back. But I didn't know what.
That night, Emma came back and sucked more of my blood. She continued coming ever night.
A few days later, I died. I died the same way Emma did. Three days later, I woke up. "Where am I?" I mumbled. Then, I realized where I was, I was in my coffin, deep underground. I screamed for someone to let me out, but I doubt anyone could here me. Then, I heard a noise, it sounded like someone digging. It was! Someone was digging me up from my grave. "Help me, I'm still alive!" I screamed. Then it stopped, and someone was taking of the lid of my coffin. "John! You have awaken! I knew you would." It was Emma, she dug me up. "What's going on?" I asked. "You might have already guessed, but I'm a vampire, and now you are too! Go on, try out your wings." I then looked at my back, there were two black bat wings there. I spread them out, I could fly with them. I began to flap them. "that's it!" Said Emma. I was now soaring threw the sky under the moon light, it was amazing. "Your a natural, John." She said. Me and Emma then landing on top of an abandoned wear house to talk. "Well, now I guess it would be a good time for me to properly explain everything to you." I sat to listen. "first of all, your not going to age anymore and with a proper diet, you'll live forever, but your not invincible. Your skin will burn when exposed to sunlight. another thing, is that you will need proper nutrients, human blood. Without eating it, you will die of starvation. And you can also die from a wood stake to the heart." "Is that all?" I asked. "Yep, now me and you can live forever!" She said it with a smile. "I'll see ya later! Don't get yourself into any trouble okay?" Emma then flew away, probably off to eat, maybe I should do the same.
I then decided to look for something to eat, or someone. I flew around and then I saw someone. It was an old friend, Jake. He was out alone, I didn't know why, but I realized that I did find my dinner. I then snuck up behind him and bit his neck, he fell to the ground. Oh, it tasted so good, I never thought blood would taste this good, I loved it. Then when I was finished, I looked down at Jake. He was so helpless and weak.
It doesn't matter now, I wasn't human anymore, I could do what I wanted. I didn't feel any guilt for what I did to him. It wasn't any different from a lion eating a zebra, it's survival. It's my life now and nothing could change that. I kill in order to survive. Plus, if any luck, he might wake up and become a vampire and live forever too. So it's not a crime. That's why this town is so strange, and why everyone is always in a rush to get home before morning. Because most of the people that live here, are actually vampires.

-John