Open The Door ( short story )

After a tiring day of work, I finally get some time to sleep. It's way too late already. But at least I finished my assignment before the submission date...which is tomorrow. My fault, shouldn't have left it for the last minute. As I lay down on my comfy bed, I began to instantly fall asleep.

Just then, I hear the sound of keys being inserted into a door lock. I flinch and wake up.

I live alone. Who could it be? Maybe it's the man next door and he's mistaken my apartment for his because he's drunk? Makes sense.

The door obviously doesn't open. I can hear him trying to pull the door.

" Why won't it open "

Hearing this voice send shivers down my spine. I quickly get up from the bed and head to the living room. What...is this..? It's not the voice of the man next door or some unknown person.

It's my voice.

" is...anyone in there? " the voice continues as the  ' person ' knocks and pulls the door handle

What's going on? Am I dreaming? Why does that person sound like me? Should I call the police?

Suddenly the knocking gets louder, making my heart stop for a second.

" hey! Whoever is in there open the door! Hurry! " it shouts.

It's a good thing I had installed extra locks since I had heard a lot of apartment break-in stories and was scared

" OPEN UP! PLEASE! OPEN UP! " it yells

I'm literally shivering right now. What should I do!? Should I open the door? Of course not! There's someone out there with my voice trying to get inside my house. I think I'll call the police.

Then I stop and suddenly a thought comes to mind. I walk up to the door and quietly look through the peephole.

..There's someone staring right back at me...

" OPEN THE DOOR NOW!!!"

The shock and fear makes me trip and I fall backwards. I feel like all blood drained from my face. I quickly pick up my phone and start to call the police.

" I'M BEGGING YOU! OPEN THE DOOR! PLEASE I'M SORRY! OPEN U-" the voice comes to an abrupt stop.

As the call connects I get up and look through the peephole. No ones there.

" 911 what's your emergency? " I hear from the phone as it breaks the silence and flinch.

" yes, hello, there's a.." I continue as I open the door and peek outside. There's literally no one. My apartment is on the 6th floor of this apartment complex. I look over the balcony. No ones there. Was I imagining it?

" Hello? " the operator says

" oh! Ummm sorry. I thought someone was trying to get into my house but it seems I was just half asleep. Sorry again"

"I see...well. ok then " and she hangs up.

     ___________________________________

" Really!? That's so freaky! " my friend Sarah exclaims.

"I know right? I was so scared " I say as I take a sip of my ice coffee.

That night I barely slept a wink. I had asked my neighbour if they had heard anything but they were all sleeping and I kinda disturbed their sleep. The man next door was really mad at me since he had to go on a business trip in the morning. Next morning at college I was like a walking zombie. Slept like a baby in the class. After our classes were over me and my friends went to a party we were invited to. We got bored after a while so now we're just at a cafe.