PROLOGUE

The pink and purple haze of the melting sky softly illuminates the shimmering metal workings of the structure in the distance. 

"You ready for the big exploration?" Ampersa asks.

Den looks away from the big structure and down at his friend. Ampersa's white shirt is toned slightly pink by the atmosphere, the sun somewhere off in the distance where nobody can see. The sky is enthralled in an overwhelmingly encompassing purple melting to pink-- it feels like the pink and purple is embracing you in a hug, vibrating even the molecules of your skin. 

Ampersa has glistening black hair and warm brown eyes. Her eyes are the kind of eyes that stare deep into those who she meets, and even in the strange circumstances approaching them she seems at ease, sitting comfortably on the thatched aluminum bench.

"I'm ready for the launch," Dencil replies, "Who wouldn't be? Everything changes when we get on that ship. I can't wait until we finally get on board."

Dencil has kind brown eyes and fluffy brown hair, and he wears the same white lapeled suit that Ampersa does. It's formal attire for all ASU scientists. It catches the light of the sunset with its silky material, reflecting brightly in each glistening fiber; one could call it a lab coat. Den is taller than Ampersa and his eyes less open than hers, but like Ampersa he carries the same easiness with the world and circumstances that is natural to her. They sit silently for a moment in the reflective white light of the structure ahead.

"Tomorrow we go," Ampersa says, and they gaze at the white metal ship standing upright in its supports as bustling people walk in surprisingly slow motion around it. The little scientists roam like ants, yellow hardhats on tight due to proximity to construction for the final touches. The light metal supports gleam with iridescent light.

Ampersa and Den step into the cafeteria, their feet rocketing across the shimmering white tile as the sky outside finally starts to darken. The metal tables are packed to the brink with starving scientists, ravenously digging into their first meal of the day. ASU Facilities doesn't feed them all that well, but when they do, the scientists thrive and get social. 

Den and Ampersa walk to the end of their row of tables, and as a familiar scientist looks up from his bowl of soup, Ampersa sets down her things with the man. Den settles down across from him as Ampersa goes to get food.

Den rests his arms on the table as the warm smell of soup wafts to his nose, glancing up at his friend Doctor Green.

Doctor Green has short brown hair like Dencil's and has his suit arms pulled back despite the fact that he's only eating soup. Green is always ready to engage with life; he would have his sleeves rolled back even in his dreams. He has a lopsided frown for his resting position that indicates cynicism, sarcasm, vital life. He has eyes that gaze through your ideas and puncture them.

Doctor Green stares at Den. For the hundredth and last time he asks Den, "are you sure it's wise for us to join the crew?" 

Dencil looks at the man with complete and undaunted certainty. "Yes," he says. He's about to follow up with a question when Ampersa arrives. Dencil flashes a grin up at her before pushing out of his seat, pulling hers out for her, and excusing himself to get his own tray of food.

 Ampersa looks at Green. She pulls out her ASU mandated clipboard, adds three marks to the list clipped to the front, then lays clipboard flat on the table.

Green looks down at the paper. "What's this?" Green asks uncertainly, and Ampersa looks up at him with an expectant expression and points to one line before passing it to the doctor. He takes a quick glance at the page, raises his eyebrows, folds it neatly, and slips it into his pocket.