Chapter 1

Read this please and give my new baby a chance :p

......................

' Get up you lousy good fer nothin' ' the burly man barked as he doused the stable hand in cold water

The poor boy shot up startled and paled considerably once he noticed his master had caught him sleeping on the job again. Third time this week... he couldn't help it though with his mama just putting to bed there's been a hella work over on their humble dugout.

Esmedelda watched as the man whipped the poor boy in a fit of rage. She cowered further into the shadows hoping to not be caught. She had been about to steal a nice looking apron she'd seen hanging on the line from right under the sleeping boys nose but that barrel sized man had to come and spoil everything. Looks like she'd be going without a new set of clothes.

She sighed and slowly backed around the barn and back to the main road so she could find a friendly wagon driver that would give her a ride. As she walked A strong wind blew tousling her long dark hair. Feeling mirth she kicked up her feet and began to do a little jig as she walked laughing all the way. As she danced a little dog trotted up to her and yipped at her.

' Hey there lil' fella. Y'lost?'

The dog yipped appreciatively wagging its little shaggy tail as she scratched behind its ear

' We'll find your home fella. Until then I guess I'll call you Tip. How'dyhu like that bud?'

The dog gave another happy bark and continued to follow Esmedelda down the dusty road.

She walked two mile's until she decided it was enough and plopped on the ground and lifted her thumb in the air.

' Welcome to the good life Tip '

Almost three hours later a wagon rolled to a stop beside her.

'Are y'lost sugar? ' asked a throaty voice that hinted its owner was not unfamiliar with a pipe.

Esmedelda looked up to see a man who looked to be in his 50's and a younger looking lad around her age

' No sir. Just your average hitchhiker with a lil' doggie ' she said pulling her best 'pity me' face

' Hop on in. We'll take you where you're going ' he said with a warm smile and twinkling eyes.

She smiled her thanks and accepted the boys outstretched hand to lift herself onto the wagon.

' I really do appreciate your kindness sir. Not many a people woulda offered me a ride so readily'

' Well we're not your average people sugar ' he said with a side glance at his son

Esmedelda took this time to observe them. The old man was short and stout with a mop of salt and pepper coloured hair on his head. He had laugh lines etched in his face and crinkles around his eyes that showed he was a merry fellow. He had thick arms and short legs. By his side was a shotgun.

His son on the other hand was a polar opposite of his father on the outside he was the all American dream boy. Blonde hair. Blue eyes. Perfectly tanned skin but that fantasy ended once you took a look at his lips which were permanently drawn in a frown

'I'm Obadiah Foster by the way and this is my son Henry '

' I'm Esmedelda and its a pleasure to meet you both. If you don't mind Obadiah I'll be coming off at Pleasure Mills'

' Not a problem. We're headed there ourselves'. he said.

' Lucky me' Esmedelda said with a wry smile.