Before The Copa: Love and Lies

"Lola, you're on in 10 minutes!", yells the club owner aggressively.

Lola stares in the mirror at her clear milky skin as she puts the finishing touches on an already made-up face. She's sweating a bit as a result of the humid weather in North Havana, so she gently pats her face with her favorite yellow handkerchief. She can hear the faint sounds of drinks clinging and laughter from people just trying to have a good time in the club.

Lola enjoys the environment of the fast-paced life at the club. The lights, the constant attention, and of course the money isn't bad.  She has a dressing room to herself which is rare, and makes all the other girls, especially Roxy, green with envy. From her white silk curtains to the plush pillows and chairs, Lola wasn't complaining. Pictures of Frank Sinatra, Billie Holiday, and Vera Lynn coat the walls, reminding her of her passion, after all, passion and music is all the trend at the Copacabana. With her hunk Tony manning the bar and being the object of lust for all the other women, Lola was on top.

"LOLA, 10 minutes!!!!", yells the club owner again as if Lola's hearing is impaired.

"Got it boss!!", yells Lola while she doesn't take her eyes off of her reflection in the mirror.

Suddenly, Lola is interrupted from doing her daily routine by a bad feeling, a feeling that is not unfamiliar to her. A presence that she continues to tolerate to keep her job and sanity. Before she realizes it, in the reflection standing behind her is Roxy.

Roxy is originally from South Havana. A entirely different world than North Havana. The talk is  cheap, and moral and values don't seem to be a part of normal living.  Roxy is not too far in age from Lola, so the excitement of being young and free appeals to the both of them. Roxy's definition of "free" is not the same as Lola's being that she will do what she wants to get whatever she wants....and what Roxy wants, Lola already has.....

"You better watch yourself", said Roxy as she slowly walked up closer behind Lola.  "What do you mean?", replied Lola as she stood up and turned to look at Roxy.  "You know Tony meets all kinds of women at the bar, and they tip him very well. It would be so sad if his eyes were to wander", says Roxy. "I bet you wish his eyes were wandering in your direction, huh?  I see the way you look at him, and flirt with him at the bar. I see what you're doing and you're not as slick as you think you are. He told me how you have tried to get in between us by bringing up my past relationship with your brother Ricky and the rumors about Rico.  Rico is a regular here and he tips well, that's it! That's old news and lies, it didn't work out, get over it!"   

"You hurt my brother Ricky and he didn't deserve that Lola and you know it!", said Roxy through almost clenched teeth. "I loved Ricky, but we wanted different things Roxy! It wasn't my intention for him to relapse after our break up. I know it was hard for him to deal with the fact  that I didn't want to get married and have kids, and  you  know he didn't approve of me working here, but I had to follow my passion to perform Roxy. We just weren't on the same page", explained Lola.

"You were his whole world and the pain you caused him affected our whole family!" said Roxy fighting back tears.  "I'm sorry for that, but I'm with Tony now, and he understands my lifestyle and I'm happy, you have to let it go! Excuse me, I have a show to do!" exclaimed Lola before walking past Roxy pushing her out of the way to leave the dressing room. "I'll show you how much I can let it go", said Roxy in an unforgiving tone.

Lola and Tony were in love, they were more than in love. You know that kind of love that makes you blind? In your eyes, they can do no wrong? Well, that was Lola and Tony. They initially met in the club so Tony couldn't reveal all his reservations about Lola not leaving anything to the imagination for other guys.  It was considered that Tony had an understanding of the lifestyle but couldn't stand when guys got too friendly.  He would do anything to protect his woman. Nothing could break that bond until petty gossip intervened.

Roxy watches as Tony is mixing and serving drinks at the bar.  He is in his own world as if he is the only one to dominate the bar tending game. Roxy admires his smile as he greets customers and engages in small talk. Tony looks up and his eyes meet with Roxy. As they share a look, the infamous Rico enters the club. Dressed to the 9's from head to toe, with a diamond ring that sparkles just as bright as his eyes for topless women. Everybody knows Rico, and Roxy knows Rico has a thing for Lola that is beyond business.  She also knows that Rico and Tony are at odds because of a business deal gone sour. Roxy stays hidden behind the stage as she gets Tony's attention from the bar, motioning his gaze towards Rico waving Lola over. Tony notices Rico getting a little too friendly and obnoxious. Before Tony could think, he rushes from behind the bar towards Rico, as Roxy watches with delight for what events will unfold next......