33

Flashback
13 year old Damien
7 year old Rosalie

It was a cold night. A small girl and a little boy was in the end of a small road from the main street. It was dark and dirty. At the end of the small road was the entrance to the back door of newly opened restaurant. The scent of the food flooded the environment making the little girls stomach growl for food.

Little Rosalie was wrapped in her coat and Damiens coat, she was still freezing. Anyone who saw her wrapped up in the coats would understand why too. After all the coats were cheap coats that were made from cheap materials. These were the coats that they were given by their Foster parentsz who just wanted to show everyone they provided coats for the pitiful Foster children.

Even though Rosalies tiny body was hungry and shivering she wasn't thinking about herself or cursing the weather or hunger. She was actually worried about 13 year old Damien who was digging the big dirty dustbin for food. She was more worried about him because he gave her coat to her and in her mind she was thinking, if she was freezing like this with two coats how would Damien feel without any coats?

As little Rosalies thoughts were filled with Damiens, Damiens thoughts were filled with Rosalie.

The poor boy was regretting his decisions. Its been 1 month after running away from their Foster parents. He had enough of money to last them both for at least three months. But Rosalie suddenly needed medication and all the money he had was all spent up for medicine. He couldn't make any money in the last few days and so he had no money to feed Rosalie. Now here he was going through a huge trash can covered in trash trying to search for a scrap of food.

He was cursing himself, his evil Foster parents, the stupid child care system, the adults and the whole cruel world. He was rethinking his decisions and he felt helpless. He kept on digging the trash for a bit of edible food to give Rosalie.

The poor boys mind was filled with how to keep her alive. He questioned whether he should bring her back to the authorities?

'No' a strong voice shouted in his head. If he brought her to the authorities they would send her back to those evil people. Then that bastered would get his way with her. 

What if he warned the authorities what happened and why they ran away. Maybe then they would understand and send Rosalie to a better place.

'NO' the voice in him shouted. 'Don't be fucking optimistic and blind. You know how the system works. Why would they believe you? They will never believe you. They will separate you and her and then she will be sent to that hell hole where She will get hurt one way or another'

the image of her getting hurt flash in his head again as he punched the trash in frustration.

He was mentally and physically exhausted. He felt helpless and useless. He wanted to help Rosalie but he didn't know how. He kept on punching the trash.

"Damien" a soft voice coughed. He calmed down then. He must be strong. If he finds anyone who can protect Rosalie he will definitely let them help her. He knew no one would help him, not with the record he had, and he was fine with that. As long as she can get some help. But he knew it was a small chance of that happening too. The small chance being a good family adopting her.

"D.. Damien" a soft childish voice called out again. Damien finally gave up and got off the big dirty dustbin and went to her. Rosalie hugged Damien quickly trying to warm him up.

Damien wanted to push her away because he stinked and didn't want her to stink too, but she just kept on hugging him.

Damien felt more pitiful. There they were in a small lane from the main street, in the middle of the night shivering and hungry. He felt so helpless and ashamed. He didnt know what to do.