New Year's Eve

If I could be anywhere in the world at the moment, I'd probably be in my room, under the superman-patterned covers in a dream haze consisting of Hershey's and Maltesers. But I wasn't in my room dreaming of delicious chocolates. Instead, I was at a stupid New Year's Eve party with my friend, Emily Jones. It wasn't my choice and decision to be at the party but Emily had a way of manipulating people to get what she wanted.

"Isn't this exciting Josie?" she gushed, eyes wide as she took in her surroundings. I looked around at the party filled with already-drunk and hormonal teenagers dancing and mingling. It was a typical teenage house party featured in many ABC movies and I couldn't see how it was a paradise to Emily.

"Yeah, sure is." I said sarcastically. Unfortunately, Emily caught on because she was frowning at me.

"God Josie, must you always be like that?" her rhetorical question was like a slap to my face. "Its almost 2013; a new year and you decide to be like this. Can't you just drop the negative attitude and try to have a little fun? Or at least let me have my fun?"

I wanted to respond but Emily caught me off. "You know what? I'm tired of always hanging around and trying to help elate your bad moods. If you don't want to be at the party, fine go." Now was not the time to remind her that going to the party was against my will. "But I'm going to have my fun into the new year which holds many expectations for me."

Before I knew it, Emily had disappeared into the crowd of drunken teenagers. She was right and I felt bad, really. The party wasn't my scene but I could at least try to enjoy it. Besides, the only reason Emily needed me at the party was for moral support. She was hoping to get a kiss from her crush Nathan Odom when the countdown ended. The least I could do was look happy.

I sighed and decided I would let her blow off steam before going to find her so I could "support". I stood by the front door of the house we were in, watching the scene and realizing that I knew really no one at the party. They were all just a blur of faces. In fact, the invite was one of those "Shirley said Max said that his girlfriend Antonia's brother's band mate's best friend's girlfriend's sister's boyfriend was hosting a party" invites. Many of the people at the party didn't know who the host was but they didn't mind. They would attend as long as there was free food, rubbing alcohol and loud music.

My converse-clad feet took me away from the loud living room and into the much quieter kitchen. There were only a few people there; a couple making out by the fridge and a guy helping himself to a fistful of nuts from a large red bowl. It was only the nuts guy that looked up at me when I came in. The couple was engrossed in their make out session.

"Nuts?" the guy asked, dark eyebrows raised awaiting my response. I shook my head. There was no way I was going to eat nuts from a bowl at a public teenage house party. The amount of germs in there were enough to kill--or cause food poisoning at least.

"None, huh?" the guy asked, his lips forming a lopsided grin. "Well, then more for me."

I ignored him and instead tried to remember my reason for coming to the kitchen. It certainly wasn't to talk to a guy helping himself to a handful of germs. I looked around and when my eyes settled on the fridge, I remembered. I'd wanted to get a drink to pass time and also because I was thirsty. I walked towards the fridge and then stood awkwardly, not knowing what to do exactly. Not when the couple leaned against the fridge, sucking each other's faces. Things were getting heated for them and I could tell when I saw the guy's hand creep under the girl's shirt and the moan that escaped from the girl's lips. I didn't know whether to interrupt their make out session or not.

I heard a loud chuckle from behind and turned around to see the nuts guy laughing at me. I glared at him.

"What?"