Cyd Arthur and the Riddle of the Cloud Monster

Once upon a time, in the faraway Kingdom of Koan, there lived a boy named Cydney Arthur. But everyone just called him Cyd.

Cyd was a knight-in-training. His teacher was an old wizard named William the Whys. William taught Cyd the usual things that knights must learn, like how to fight and how to ride. But William also taught Cyd other things. Things that might surprise you.

Mount Mara was a tall rocky mountain just North of Koan. Hiding unseen in the clouds at the top of the mountain was a terrible monster. Although no one ever saw it, the Cloud Monster often roared and rumbled. And whenever that happened everyone in the kingdom would run home and hide until the Cloud Monster left.

A time came when the Cloud Monster became especially active, with many growls and grumbles coming down from the mountain top. Cyd and William were practicing sword fighting at the bottom of the mountain.

William said to Cyd, "Today is the day when you will have to fight the Cloud Monster."

Cyd asked, "Will you be joining me in the fight?"

"No," William said, "this is a battle that only you can fight."

"But I'm too small," said Cyd.

"No, you are exactly the size you are supposed to be," answered the sage old wizard.

"I mean," huffed Cyd, "I'm too small to fight such a ferocious monster!"

"You just have to remember two things," answered William. "First, only you can beat the Cloud Monster. Second, the Cloud Monster cannot be beaten."

Before Cyd could respond to this riddle, they both looked up the mountain, and indeed the Cloud Monster was starting down toward them.

"You will do fine," predicted William as he ran off.

Cyd stood staring up at the Cloud Monster as it roiled and rolled down the mountain, roaring and rumbling all the way. Cyd was surprised to see that the Cloud Monster was continually changing its shape as it came.

First, it was the shape of a large bear standing on its back legs. Then it was a charging rhino. Then a mighty dragon. Between each change it was a rolling black and grey mass.

When it got to the bottom of the mountain, the Cloud Monster wrapped all around Cyd. Cyd couldn't see much of anything anymore. He was certain the monster had swallowed him whole. Cyd was full of fear, but he fought bravely. He slashed, and sliced, and stabbed at the great monster. Cyd began to lose hope as each of his attacks simply passed through the cloud without hurting the creature at all.

As Cyd fought on, the wizard's words came back to him: "First, only you can beat the Cloud Monster. Second, the Cloud Monster cannot be beaten."

Cyd was living the second part of the riddle. It seemed quite true that he couldn't beat the monster. He used everything he had ever learned about fighting -- spinning, slicing, stabbing, parrying, thrusting, and striking high and low -- but none of it affected the monster at all. But what about the first part of the riddle?

Cyd didn't have time to think any more as he was too busy fighting. Cyd fought all day and through the night. Early in the morning, he was exhausted, and so he made a last mighty thrust up where he hoped the monster's heart was. Just like all his other attacks, this had no effect. But, with the sword raised, he noticed that the broad blade was bejeweled in droplets of dew.

Cyd was worn out. He could fight no more. He stumbled to an ancient fig tree that stood in the center of Koan. He looked again at the dew on the blade, wiped it off, sheathed the sword, and then sat, crossed-legged, on the ground beneath the magnificent tree.

Exhausted, he could do nothing but sit there watching. The Cloud Monster continued to roll and rumble all around him. But then Cyd realized that although he could not harm the monster, it was not hurting him at all either. Then a small hole opened in the Cloud Monster, and a ray of light came through. At this point, Cyd thought about the wizard's riddle.

When Cyd's beloved teacher saw that Cyd had stopped fighting, he walked over and asked what had happened.

"I've figured out the riddle," answered Cyd. "The Cloud Monster cannot be beaten because it is not real. And only I can beat it, because the Cloud Monster is only in my mind."

"Good. That is correct," said the wizard. "Always remember, most of the monsters you'll fight are only in your mind. And, ultimately, only you can fight those battles. Knowing they are in your mind doesn't mean you won't have to do battle with them. But it should help you."

Then the clouds broke wide open and the warm morning sun shone down on them. A rainbow arched across the top of the mountain. Cyd went home to get some sleep.

****

So - how did you like the story? What do you think of Cyd and William the Wise?

The "pick a cast" thing is interesting. Who would you pick to play Cyd? William the Wise?

Thank you for reading. I really hope you enjoyed it, and if you did, please support it with a vote.