Chapter 1 Edited

Chapter 1

'One step at a time' I chant in my head as I sit in the backseat of my cab. We arrived at the Academy minutes ago, yet try as I may, I find it nearly impossible to move. The Power Academy does well to mask what they truly hold inside the walls to those outside in the town, however, it feels as if the dominance is rolling off of the building in waves, nearly overwhelming. I take a deep breath and slowly open the door, finding my driver already standing outside of the cab with my bags.

"Look who finally decided to get out," he teased at me, clearly trying to ease my nerves. "That'll be twenty-seven, please." I quickly pull out my wallet and pay him. He drives off, taking the last of what I believe to be my normal life with him.

"Okay, Kayla... It's now or never. You can do this," I hype myself up as I stand with my bags in front of this castle-like mansion. Forcing my feet forward, I follow the small crowd entering the building. I let out a breath I didn't realize I was holding when I saw a registration check-in. At least there will be some semblance of normalcy in the beginning. When I told my friends that I planned on coming here instead of continuing university, they created rumors and stories to scare me. They had me actually scared that this would be a sex-crazed hoax rather than a legitimate Academy. I shake off the fears and nerves as the line moves. Quicker than I had realized, I find myself in the front and make my way to the table.

"Name please," came from a very exhausted woman at the table. Clearly, she had been checking people into registration all day, and at this point, it has become redundant.

"Kayla James, ma'am," after rifling through several name tags, she eventually found mine, and handed it to me, hardly taking the time to look up before grabbing my coordinating file.

"Thank you, Kayla... Rooms will not be assigned until you have a designated partner. Now it says on your file that you are a," she takes a moment to scan over my registration and finds the information she is looking for, "submissive/little, I assume that to be correct?" Too nervous to respond verbally, I simply nod, "Good, good, that is nothing to be ashamed of here dear, this academy is going to do a world of good for your nerves. Now, you may leave your bags over with Mr. Turner, just as long as they are labeled, and make your way to the ballroom. You will be looking to make a connection with someone with the role 'dominant/daddy'.' Roles will be listed under their names on their tags, so if you are chit-chatting, be sure to look down and see their role," The woman smiles at me, and immediately turns to face someone behind me. "Next please,"

I was quickly rushed out of the line and towards Mr. Turner, clearly, efficiency is important here. I hand him my bag and thank him before going towards the ballroom, name tag in hand.

Try as hard as I might, I still find myself frozen at the door of the ballroom, unable to bring myself to walk in. There are so many people here that are excited to grow in the community. I find myself getting distracted watching everyone interact and get to know each other.

"First time?" Someone asks as they sneak up behind me, "Let me introduce myself," he dramatically bows, clearly trying to bring humor to the situation as I am obviously nervous, "I am Sabastian Michaels, I've been attending the academy for..." he takes a moment to think, "about three years now." Sebastian jokingly grabs my hand and brings it up to kiss it dramatically, as if I was royalty. I crack a smile, and he lights up, seeing that he broke the ice with me. "Oh orientation is so much fun, I love seeing all of the new and exciting faces. My submissive, Sasha, is always too busy to attend these 'partner hunts' as I fondly call them."

"A partner hunt?" I ask, somehow becoming even more nervous than I had been. I never have had the best luck when it comes to relationships, hopefully, this adventure doesn't end as catastrophically as my past.