Chapter 5

I woke up breathing heavily. I sighed and pushed my head back against the tree; I looked out at the still-dark sky, wondering,  "Why me?" I climbed down from the tree and walked over to Merry and lied down beside him. I lied there until the sun rose; I was greeted by everyone as the ate breakfast.  "Alright, we should head out,"  Sam announced. I looked down at my dress and ran into a wooded area. I quickly changed, without them noticing, and ran back out, chasing after them. Once I caught up with the group, I heard laughter coming from Sam. I smiled at the sound of happy friends and grabbed an arrow from my bag and began pointing at random things with it;  "I would put that away, if I were you,"  spoke Merry,  "What if you accidentally shoot me?"  I laughed jokingly,  "Then I shoot you."

Pippin spoke,  "But you wouldn't shoot me, right?"  He smiled, as did I. Merry laughed and pushed Pippin.

A few nights later, we were again chased by a man on a horse; but there were more than one. We hurriedly grabbed boats and rode across the Brandywine river. I stole the paddle from Sam, who was paddling too slowly, and began beating the water with the stick. We passed the others in the other boat and made out way to the other side. I looked back to see they men creatures were gone. I pushed Sam out of the boat and tossed it aside;  "Why are you in a rush?"  Sam asked. I widened my eyes as the others got out of their boat and nearly yelled,  "Those things are chasing after us! We're near the Prancing Pony, Gandalf will help us, and we won't die!"  I pushed the rest of them along as we knocked on a door to the bridge thing.

"Who is here, what is your business, and where do you come from?"  I looked at Frodo as he answered the person behind the door. The door creaked open, and the person stated babbling about safety or whatever. I laughed to myself, hoping they'd realize we're not listening, and continued following Frodo. We walked into a bar, The Prancing Pony, and talked to the bartender for a few minutes before sitting down. As we were all drinking, Sam whispered,  "That man in the corner has been staring at us since we got here, Mr. Frodo."  As a waiter passed us, Frodo spoke,  "Excuse me, sir. Who is that man there in the corner?"  The waited bent over and whispered,  "Around here, he's known as Strider. He's a Ranger; very dangerous."  The man walked away to let us wallow in our thoughts.

"W-what do you have there, Merry?"  Pippin asked. Merry smiled and spoke,  "This, my friend, is a pint!"  A wave of jealousy rushed over Pippin's face as he hit the table. He stood and looked around at the table and announced,  "I'm getting one!"  He ran off; I smiled at his adorableness and shook my head.  "What are we going to do since Gandalf's not here?"  Sam asked. Frodo was about to answer, until a loud voice called,  "Yeah, of course I know a Baggins. Frodo Baggins! He's right over there! He's my cousin, once removed from my mother's side a-"  Frodo ran over to Pippin and pushed him. Pippin gently pushed him back, causing Frodo to slip and fall backwards. Everything went in slow motion from there; I saw the Ring fly into the air, and slowly fall back down, landing on his finger. He then disappeared, like Bilbo did. Gasps shot from everybody.

Frodo appeared a few sep away, and we watched as he was being thrown up the stairs by Strider. Sam looked at me and nodded. We all stood in unison and ran up the stairs. I grabbed my bow and arrow from my bag and held it out as Sam kicked the door open; Strider smirked and commanded us to get inside. We did as told and listened to what he had to say. I looked around at my surroundings and spoke,  "You must be a Ranger."  He raised an eyebrow and asked,  "How would you know?"  I smirked and spoke,  "Besides all of your weapons laying about, you're quick to take action, obviously, and you seem to be a quick thinker as well."  It was obvious to Frodo that I was trying to get on his good side. The man nodded and smiled; afterwards, he took us to a different inn to sleep. He told us that the creatures we saw earlier were headed for us. They were called Black Riders.

"Why does he have to share a bed with my sister?"  exclaimed Merry.  Frodo laughed and spoke,  "It's only for one night, Merry."  Frodo lied down in the bed with Sam as Strider pulled Merry to the other bed. I lied down beside Pippin who, just to annoy Merry, put his arm around me. Pippin winked at Merry jokingly. I laughed a little, trying to hide my blushing face, and watched as Frodo winked at me. My faced reddened more as Pippin drew me closer. Strider blew out the candles as Merry grumbled on and on. I snuggled into the bed sheets with Pip's arm still around me. The snoring of others overtook my ears. I watched as Strider, in a chair, watched out the window.

Screams woke everyone up; I jumped up and ran to the window, nearly dragging Pipipn with me.  "Black Riders?"  I asked. Strider stated,  "Black Riders. We have a few more hours of sleep, Rayne. Return to bed, everyone."  I slowly walked back over to my bed and lied down.  "Are you alright?"  Pippin asked me. I nodded as he placed his arm around me again; I smiled and soon fell asleep.

"Why do you have your arm around me sister?"  I woke up, rubbing my eyes and yawning.  Pippin spoke,  "She got cold-"  Merry retorted,  "If you weren't such a blanket hogger, she wouldn't have been cold."  Strider lightly smiled and spoke,  "Stop your fighting and eat; we'll be leaving soon."  Pippin smiled at Merry; Merry couldn't stay angry with Pip, so he smiled back. As they stuffed their faces, I stood up and walked over to m bag. I ate a few carrots and a piece of fruit and placed my bag over my back. I grabbed my bow and stood by the door, listening to Strider talk to Frodo.