28

Warning sensitive content ahead. If you are sensitive to self harm or anything of that sort please beware. I am not glorifying suicide and self harm so do not get the wrong message.

19 years ago
In the orphanage

"I heard he killed his parents. " a boy whispered, adding his part of the gossip.

"Oh yeah?!" Another boy gasped in shock as if he never heard of it before, "he's a monster! I heard the adults in school talking about how he was supposed to go to jail and he escaped beating and killing the guards"

Some of the children who were gossiping in the corner of the back yard gasped, some of the girls had horrified expressions plastered on their faces. The orphans were gossiping about the boy in her room again. Rosa's room.

Rosa attentively listens to her housemates while they gossiped about her roommate, Damien, as if he was some sort of demon, with a confused face. She didn't understand at all.

"Why do they even keep him here?!" Another boy angrily asked softly. They were all trying to softly speak. The boy, Damien who they have deemed a demon was somewhere in the house and none of them wanted him to hear them. They knew better than to mess with him upfront.

"He's a demon!" A girl cried.

"He should die!" Another said at the same time.

"Yeah, he should die. He deserves it. I mean he did kill his parents after all" Another boy added.

Everyone kept on agreeing and gossiping more. 4-year-old Rosa didn't know what they were all talking about.

"Damien deserves to die"

Little Rosa then realized who and what they were talking about properly. She instantly got angry.

That can't be true. Rosa thought to herself.

"LIES" She cried out loud. All the heads of the youngsters almost were snapped off as they turned towards her quickly since she shouted out loud.

"Shhhh" a few children try to silence her.

"YOU LIEEEEEE" Rosa shouted this time. "He is good. DAMIEN IS NOT A DEMON. HE IS A LIKE US! HE IS GOOD!  YOU LIE, YOU LIE, YOU LIEEEEE. HE ISNT A DEMON. HE... He... he..." she was so confused, what was he to her? Suddenly as if a light bulb switched in her head a thought came into her head,

"HE IS MY FAMILY! MY HOME!" She shouted and ran away from them with tears in her eyes. She hated

She ran into the old house which looked big from the outside. But inside it was horrible. It was dirty and disorganized. There were a lot of children in the house which made it stuffy in the room. she passed all of this with her tears flowing from her eyes. She wanted to go to him. He should be in the room they shared. The highest flow, it was more of an attic than a floor. It was horrible there. It was cold and rough. No one comes there, there is no heat.

But it was okay. Damien was used to it, and when she came he would wrap her in the flimsy blanket they had and he hugged her, hoping his boy warmth would warm her enough.

She thought of this as she ran upstairs. How can someone who protects her like that be a demon? How does someone like that deserve to die? Her 4-year-old mind couldn't grasp. She fell a few times as she tried to climb the staircase alone. This wasn't her first time but she was still getting used to it. Usually, Damien helped her get down from the staircase and he helps her and one of the elders, or Damien again helps her up the stairs.

But this time Rosa has no one to supervise her while she climbed the staircase. Or so she thought.

Her 4-year-old self was determined to make it to Damien though so she didn't care. She didn't want Damien to die. What if the other kids were right and he died! She cried more.