Chapter 1 'It has started'

I sighed as I got out of bed. I thought I heard muffled screaming. "Dad left the TV on I suppose..." I muttered as I walked down the stairs. For some reason I shivered. It was cold, like really really cold. I walked into the kitchen to get some breakfast, shrugging off the muffled screams that got louder by every step I took towards the kitchen. When I was close I heard a disgusting noise. Like flesh being ripped apart. Before I thought I entered the kitchen to ask my dad what he was doing that would make such a sound. The sight made me almost puke. In front of me, on the floor, was my dad. He was the one who had been screaming. But he was quiet now. The only noise to be heard was that disgusting noise of flesh being ripped from my fathers body and my heavy breathing. I somehow didn't notice the figure that was on top of him, eating him, until it turned around and faced me. Blood covered a lot of its face and a-an eye was missing. It looked human. I somehow recognised it. "M-miss Smith?" I said. She is- was my neighbour. She would sometimes help us cook when dad weren't buying home food, dad was an awful cook. She seemed to be breathing heavily then she stood up. Her face had a grey tone and blood dripped from her empty eye socket and her mouth. She jumped towards me and I reacted without thinking. I grabbed a knife on the counter and stabbed her right in the face. She fell on me, causing me to fall as well. She moved, slowly, as if trying to get of the knife. I were screaming by now. She soon stopped moving and I pushed her off me and stumbled towards dad. "Dad" I choked out and fell on my knees besides him, ignoring that I had blood from Miss Smith on my face. I sobbed and hugged his dead body, barely feeling the blood that came when I put pressure on him. After a few minutes I got up and wiped my tears. I crouched besides Smith's dead body and pulled out the knife. I grabbed an other knife just in case I lost my other one. I felt empty. I grabbed my phone and a backpack and put some food in it. Plus some bandages and aspirin just in case. I took one last look at dad and Smith before I walked towards the door. Before I could open it I heard footsteps and then the door slammed open, I moved out of the way just in time to not be hit by the door. Someone stood there, it was really bright out so I couldn't see who, but then he stopped forward a little and looked at me. I had pointed the knife at him without noticing and I lowered it. "Jeremy, listen, we gotta get out of here, now and-" "M-Mike dad is dead. Miss S-Smith killed him" I whispered. "I guess it's started then" Mike, my friend, muttered. "What has s-started?" I asked him. "The zombie apocalypse" was his only response before he dragged me out of my house.