Mad Desperation

ACT ONE

Scene 1

The curtains pull open and the lights light up the whole stage in a dim glow. At [Right Stage, Down Stage] a long dinner table is set out that looks like it could seat eight. A young man, CHARLIE, who looks around his early thirties wearing a black pants suit. He has black hair and thick frame glasses for his dark brown eyes. He is setting up the dinner table for eight. Food [Director can decided what kind of food] is already set out i the middle of the dinner table which is accompany by a bucket of ice that has a bottle of wine in it and a pitcher of water that is settled next to the bucket of ice and wine. Plates and wine glasses are set down at each of the eight chairs present. CHARLIE is going around the table, placing down forks, knives, and spoons that he has bundle up in one of his arms. As he places the last spoon down which makes his back face the door, a soft knock come from the front door. CHARLIE pivots his body around and looks at the front door at [Front stage] There is no way to see the other side of the door. CHARLIE looks at the grandfather clock that sat in the middles of his two large windows at [FS]. The Deans were late but nevertheless a soft smile curves up on his lips. He stand up straight, turns around, and takes his hands and wipes them on the back of his black pants. He walks slowly, not at all in a rush, to answer the door. Thunder erupts from outside, bringing about harder knocks on the door. Charlie opens the door and takes a step back to the side out of the way as two of his guests and a surprise guest quickly walk inside. Thunder rumbles. First guest that walks in is PATRICK, who is dressed in his grass, green plaid pants suit. He is around the same height as CHARLIE. PATRICK has a huge smile on his face. He was carrying a suitcase in his right hand. He places the suitcase down next to him and stuck out his hand towards CHARLIE. CHARLIE grabs a hold of PATRICK's hand loosely. PATRICK doesn't notice.

PATRICK

(City accent, excitement)

Sorry that we were late. The mistress wanted to look her best. We tried to get here as fast as we could so that we wouldn't be caught in the storm, but it was pretty hard to find your place.

(Chuckles)

It's been ages, Charlie! What have you been doing all this time?

Patrick is still shaking CHARLIE's hand.

CHARLIE

(Stares at PATRICK, monotone, soft, country voice)

Not much at all. Just living.

PATRICK

Sounds boring.

(Pause, then chuckles uneasily to himself)

PATRICK releases CHARLIE's hand and picks up the suitcase that he placed down earlier. He looks at CHARLIE.

PATRICK

Where do you want me to put this?

CHARLIE

Just leave it by the coat rack, that's behind the door, for now.

PATRICK moves pass CHARLIE and places the suitcase down beside the coat rack. PATRICK rushes back in front of CHARLIE and stands next to the woman , who was the second person who had walks inside, ABIGAIL. She was wearing a normal blue that puffs out at the bottom. The dress had white ruffles on the sleeves and a white ribbon that was tied around her waist. Her blonde hair is down to her mid- back. CHARLIE stares at her as she looks at him with a soft expression that had a hint of guilt in her eyes, but CHARLIE doesn't notice it. PATRICK grabs a hold of ABIGAIL's hand and twirls her around once and releases her. CHARLIE stretches out his arms just in time as ABIGAIL looses her balance and falls forward towards him.