Chapter 1

Callie

I woke up knowing today was going to be a bad day. It could have something to do with the awful dream I had last night: purple swirls were dancing across every corner of my vision and a voice. A raspy voice filled with pure evil told me to go to the campsite. I don't know what this meant because there are at least 70 campsites in York. The violet swirls faded, and I was taken to the football pitch outside of my school. The place where I spent my mornings watching Cory play. And there he was, stood on the pitch. But the people who usually play with him weren't there. It was just him and my other friend Lizzie. They were both injured, heavily bleeding from their abdomens. I had never seen so much of that sticky, scarlet stuff in my life. They were screaming at me, begging me to help them, but I couldn't. My feet were glued to the ground. I wanted to help; I really did. Cory was pleading at me, I could hear the desperation and fear in his voice. "Please!" he shrieked. Then they both dropped to the floor, lifeless.

The swirls appeared again with the voice. This time it repeated the word vallywood. At first, I had no idea what it meant but I remembered that it was the name of a campsite nearby.

The next thing I remember is waking up in the pitch dark. I looked around me and next to my bed I saw a looming shadow standing over me. I was petrified. Was this the mysterious voice I had heard in my dream? " What are you?" I screamed, " Why were you in my dream?" I could feel the hairs on the back of my neck stand on end. Why was it in my bedroom? I wanted to cry out for help, but my screams were muted. After a while of being terrified of this puzzling figure, I questioned why it wasn't hurting me, why it wasn't moving. I blinked a few times to see if I was hallucinating and the figure disappeared. You're probably just seeing things, I thought, and then went back to bed.

And that brings us to where we are now, in my bed at 6:30 am not wanting to go to school. I couldn't stop thinking about my dream. What if what took place was going to happen in real life? " Don't be silly," I told myself. The thought of me even considering that is ludicrous. I don't believe in superstitions, so why should I believe in an unessential dream. I grabbed my school bag and went downstairs.

--

In the car on the way to school, England had decided to go back to its usual weather state: rain. I hate the rain. It brings gloominess and depression to the people it haunts with a dreadful touch of a single raindrop. I stared out of the window and tried to make the rain stop. I wished for the sadness that comes with the rain to go away, for it to vanish with the cold, wet hell of rain. I looked out of the window and begged for sunlight and bright blue sky, not the cloudy, grey soul-crushing rain.

When I had finally got to school, I met with Lizzie on the football pitch. Cory was mid-game and Lizzie was doing a great job of cheering him on. He saw me and smiled. Apparently, his team was losing, four-nil. I didn't believe that because what I saw of them playing was amazing. Cory had scored a hat trick and I could tell he was having fun. He was so passionate about a small game of football before school, this is what he wanted to do. He wanted to play football for York F. C, not that they were any good. As I watched him play, Lizzie was rambling on about a random singer's new song and how she was there for the premiere on YouTube. "How come they were losing before I came," I asked Lizzie, interrupting her fangirling for someone I had no interest in. "Cory's playing Great now."

"I don't know, maybe you're his lucky charm!" Lizzie teased.

"I can't be," I replied, he's usually fine before I come. I watched him and for a second we caught eye contact.