Chapter One

"My path has always been a simple one. Duty before desire. Practicality over sentiment. Had I ever dreamed that I would be following in my father's footsteps, asking questions that have no answers and pondering over secrets that would change the world as I understand it, I'd have thought myself a fool. Yet here I am, wondering how to stand against an enemy I cannot see, facing defeat at the hands of those who cannot themselves be killed. All the while haunted, in the keenest sense, by a singular fact.

The mists are alive with the spirits of the dead.

They rage.

They whisper.

They blot out the sun.

What this means for Secora, I do not know. But it has caused my ship and my crew to suffer for every inch that we travel through it.

Commander Calum.

Amelia Ling.

Our losses mount by the hour.

Soon, I know not when, McKinley the Marauder - my brother - will join them.

And duty and practicality seem poor responses to the reality of these crimes."

Captain Marshall looked up from his log, concealing a host of things he couldn't put to paper. The morning had been long with no change. Not in his brother's state. Not in the doctor's prognosis. Noon was fast approaching and McKinley, he had been warned, would not live to see it.

"You haven't slept." First Lieutenant Ryder put a gloved hand on the otter's shoulder.

He acknowledged the collie with a stoic expression. "Nor have you."

"I was on my way to the galley. Doctor Calum asked me to see if the cook could spare some ice for McKinley's..." She stopped herself. "To make him more comfortable."

"On order from his captain," Marshall said. "The food can spoil, if it must."

"Aye, sir." She paused. "Are you sure you won't let someone relieve you? Master Tobb has warned that there is a storm on the way. You could rest while I see to the preparations."

Setting his personal log aside, Marshall leaned forward in his seat and drew a deep breath. "Thank you, Lieutenant, but I haven't fallen from my feet just yet. Rested or not, I will remain where I am needed most. My place, for now, is here."

Ryder nodded, reading into the words he did not say.

For now.

But not for long.

"I understand, Captain," she said quietly, as though offering her condolences. "I'll send the cook along shortly."

Once beyond the screened-off section of the deck, she pulled herself upright and put on a strong face. The crew was quieter than usual as they looked to her for support and assurance, which she gave through demeanor alone. They needed no more and no less than that.

Have confidence.

All was well.

This was her job as Acting Commander.

Whether she believed it herself was of no consequence.

She was deep in this bothersome thought when she ran squarely into Father Deagan Faiz. His muscular build and sturdy stride knocked her back against the wall before she could catch herself. The humble fox looked down at her in shock, having been equally lost in his own duties. A number of thoughts seemed to play behind his eyes. Thoughts he did nothing to voice. Stepping back, he lowered his head and murmured an apology she almost couldn't hear over the rage that boiled in her veins beyond her will to control it.