𝟏𝟏-Distress call and distressed girl

Georgie had been right to run after Spock, especially after she had heard to which ship she had been assigned: the USS Bradbury. It was not the worst ship but most definitely not the best. The only problem was that Georgie, was the best cadet of her class, since Sol was not here and they were battling for the first spot. She stopped her teacher right in his tracks, as he raised an eyebrow quizzically.

"USS Bradbury? Who are you kidding here sir, me?"

The tone of his student surprised Spock. She was insubordinate but usually wasn't rude or that straight forward. He understood it might have been the worry that courses through her veins that he, with his heightened senses, was able to feel seeping through Georgie's well-built optimistic walls.

"Consider it a punishment for the little stunt you pulled in the Kobayashi Maru."

Georgie's mouth fell half open, both because of the fact that her teacher knew that was her doing, and because he had the audacity to tell this: she knew about the situation of the Enterprise: they were left with a junior officer that had never piloted anything as a helmsman and two inexperimented helmsmen were better than one.

"Oh, so you believed I had to be on the Bradbury as a punishment? It is your crew that you're punishing, not me, don't try to tell me you're not short on helmsmen because we both know it is not true. I know for McKenna. They replaced him with a junior, not more experienced than me, what could go wrong, huh? So we agree on that they said McCoys?"

The youngest McCoy sibling's tone was deadly cold and it surprised her teacher to see her react like this. It was rare to see Georgie McCoy that upset. But what wounded Spock's pride the most was that the cadet was right. They had a helmsman, sure, but no replacement for him and definitely no second who would check the calculations and communicate with engineering.

"I believe they did."

It had hurt Spock to admit it, but he needed Georgie onboard. She was the most qualified for the job, he couldn't afford the ship, which was having its maiden voyage, and Vulcan be damaged because of a prideful decision. The cadet nodded before leaving the senior officer, boarding a shuttle. She was so worried about Ena and Sol that she didn't even check if she was in the same shuttle as her brother, who always clinged onto her arm when taking off, the worst part of the trip for him.

She was finally aboard the Enterprise. Her eyes shone with pride as she looked at the senior - or junior - officers of the ship. She found herself next to the helmsman seat. She was monitoring courses and oddities, and had to calculate things very quickly. It was in moments like these that she thanked Spock for being such an exigent teacher. She was a walking calculator and could solve pretty much anything. The young woman was buried into equations when the helmsman arrived. He had a cute smile and seemed very nice, and Georgie immediately got the feeling they would get along just fine.

"Hi, I am Hikaru Sulu, nice to meet you!"

He had a cheerful voice that matched his cheerful personality and truly seemed very kind.

"Georgie McCoy, nice to meet you too!"

"McCoy, as in... Leonard McCoy?"

"Yeah, I s'ppose you already met my brother."

"Yeah, he is one of the most popular junior officers, it is told that he is grumpy but very kind."

"What is told is true, he indeed is very grumpy but very kind. And very stubborn, they always forget very stubborn."

"Well, you seem different."

"I am! I would be damned if my personality was nowhere near my brother's! He got the looks matching his grumpy and stubborn character, I don't, so that doesn't work."