Shot 1

“What is it now?” came the shrewd, icy voice on the other end of the phone, and Priyanka literally shivered. It had been four years she was working as Mr. Oberoi’s Personal Secretary and she had still not gotten used to his no-nonsense tone and his perpetual scowling face. “Sir,” she started and immediately cleared her throat, knowing he would be irked at being disturbed during his coffee break of precisely four and a half minutes. “There’s an advocate here to meet you – Mr. Matthew Alvarez. He says it’s urgent to talk to you!” There was a brief pause, followed by a muffled cuss word that turned Priyanka’s face turn pink, followed by a gruff tone, as he said, “Send him in!”

Priyanka Tiwari smiled at the advocate who sat in the lobby, and informed him that he could go inside to see her boss. “He’s still in a foul mood, isn’t he?” Matthew asked, and Priyanka simply smiled. There was no way she was going to admit that her boss was a walking terror. The only reason she was still working here was because of the great pay-scale, and the strict working hours which meant, no work before nine in the morning, or after six in the evening. “This way, Sir!” Priyanka smiled politely, and led the advocate to the cabin. She nodded courteously at him, and then walked straight back to her seat, lest she misses any call and gets fired for her carelessness. Once fired from the Oberoi inc., she was sure it could be a thorough challenge to get another job.

Mr. Matthew Alvarez stood in front of the cabin, glancing at the nameplate in gold hung on the polished Maplewood door. ‘Omkara Singh Oberoi’. Knocking twice on the door, Matthew walked in when he heard an irritated ‘come in’ from the other end. Walking into the huge air-conditioned cabin, he saw the man himself dressed in an impeccable three-piece suit seated at the plush sofa; his one hand held the cup of steaming black coffee, and his other hand carelessly stretched out on the backrest of the sofa; his right ankle rested on top of his left knee. He had a cold and calculating look on his face, while his deep, chocolate eyes were nothing but pools of ruthlessness. As he walked in, the man made an eye contact with him, and it did not take a genius to figure out that this meeting was not going to be a pleasant one.

“Good afternoon, Mr. Oberoi!” Matthew said, taking a seat opposite to him. Omkara nodded and looking straight into his eyes, he said in a crisp tone, “I’m sure we’re not here for pleasantries, Mr. Alvarez! Let’s come to the point.” Mr. Matthew noted the no-nonsense business tone he had used, and he nodded. “Very well then!” Matthew nodded, and pulled out a file. Omkara’s gaze shifted to the papers in his hand, and then to his face. “The will of your brother – Mr. Shivaay Singh Oberoi” he said.

For a moment, Matthew saw the young man’s eyes turn misty and his expressions soften at the mere mention of his older brother’s name. It was no secret that, even if the two brothers weren’t extremely close, they still shared the same blood! Shivaay Singh Oberoi and his wife, Mrs. Annika Singh Oberoi, had passed away just about a month ago, in a horrible car accident. The two of them had died on the spot as their car had rammed against the loaded truck on the highway, and Omkara slightly shivered at the sight he’d witnessed in the morgue upon reaching there to identify their bodies, which were beyond recognition.

“Erm,” Matthew cleared his throat, drawing Omkara’s attention into the present. “Yes, go on,” Omkara spoke with a nod, resuming his stance. “According to this will, Mr. Shivaay has left all of his assets to his daughter – baby Shanaya Shivaay Singh Oberoi. But since she’s a minor, who’s a year old, the court has granted her custody to you.”

Omkara took a whole minute to digest the news, and all he could come up with as a response is a “What?” Matthew nodded, looking at the bewildered man in front of him, who looked ready to spew boiling lava as if he were a raging volcano. “The court grants the child’s custody to you, as stated in your older brother’s will, not just because it was his last wish, but because, after his parents, you are baby Shanaya’s closest blood relative, since Mr. and Mrs. Shivaay Singh Oberoi’s parents are no more.”