The Aeolian Master - Book One - Revival

Copyright 2010 by John Northern

Chapter One

It could have been considered a whirlwind event, but it was more like a hurricane of circumstances and political intrigue that brought him to the Galaef. He didn't just think it was a rouse, he was certain of it. No one at this level of government would take an interest in the myth of the Aeolian Master, unless there was some nefarious subplot lurking just below the surface. 

But why had they involved him - - a nobody from an insignificant planet? 

He didn't care. He wanted the money for the archaeological dig. So when they ordered, he came. The fact was, even if he didn't want to come, he had no choice. 

As the translucent metal door slid quietly into its recess, Professor Benjamin Hillar stepped through the doorway and into the huge, lower lobby of the Galactic Empire Headquarters. 

Maravan, the G Staff Guide, stepped beside him. He obtained a better grip on Professor Hillar's luggage, and asked, "So, what do you think?" 

Ben looked around. "Incredible." 

"Yes, sir, that was my reaction the first time I stepped through these doors. 

"All this wealth." 

"Yes, sir." 

Ben raised an eyebrow. He noted what riches beyond imagination could buy - - exotic plants with beautiful multicolored blooms sitting in lavish pots, priceless pictures by ancient artists hanging on the walls, expensive furniture made from imported hardwoods from around the galaxy, which were placed in expertly designed alcoves and recessed into the exquisitely decorated walls. 

"I suppose," said Ben, "the Galaef has no limits as to what he can acquire - - entire planets, if he so chooses." 

"Yes, sir. If you will follow me, sir, I will take you to the registration desk in the upper lobby." 

They stepped off the golden colored tiles - - which appeared to be real gold and onto the plush, soft carpet with its architectural patterns and brilliant colors. 

They walked down the steps and started for the escalators on the far side of the room. 

As they continued forward Ben started thinking about his extremely controversial theory on the Aeolian Master Fable, and then he thought about the reaction he had gotten when he reported his theory to the higher-ups. The President of the college, and even the President's secretary with her coy smile, had, in one way or another, made it plain that this theory was beyond absurd. How could he consider the story of the Aeolian Master to be anything more than a myth? - - a real man, indeed. The Magistrate's Undersecretary, putting his book down and looking up from behind his desk, had said it bluntly, "Don't get your hopes up, Professor Hillar. Money isn't granted for the sake of chasing a myth; especially one with no basis of fact." The Undersecretary paused, and then said, "I don't understand how you can think anyone is going to take you seriously." He twisted his lips in such away as if to say, 'Come on, let's get it in perspective,' and then he continued. "Putting in for this grant is just a waste of your time and mine. For hundreds of years this story has been told to children around the Galaxy - - a story about a super human man from, ummm," he paused trying to remember without hiding his ignorance. 

"From ancient Earth," said Ben with an amused smile. 

The Undersecretary nodded his head and continued his train of thought. "Yes, from ancient Earth. A story about a man who was evil in the beginning - - a man who destroyed cities and killed people by the billions, but then he repented and started doing good for the people with his super human powers."